cutlass -68, wiring diagram for headlights?

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2014, 02:10 AM

cutlass -68, wiring diagram for headlights?

Hi

I'm looking for a complete wiring diagram for headlights!
Or if anyone can help me with the car. When i bought the car it was in parts and I'm doing a full frame off resturation.
But I have no idea how the lights should work with the diffrent position with the light switch and all.

Can someone help me with this?

The right headlight is correctly installd i think. But on my left side I have a green, light blue and purple wire left and have no idea were to the left headlight they should be.
Old November 1st, 2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Teamcamber
Hi

I'm looking for a complete wiring diagram for headlights!
Or if anyone can help me with the car. When i bought the car it was in parts and I'm doing a full frame off resturation.
But I have no idea how the lights should work with the diffrent position with the light switch and all.

Can someone help me with this?

The right headlight is correctly installd i think. But on my left side I have a green, light blue and purple wire left and have no idea were to the left headlight they should be.

PM me you email and I'll send you the wiring diagram from the Chassis Service Manual that I scanned in hi-rez

The harness goes from drivers side to passenger and the connectors are pretty much self explanatory so it's not too hard to figure which goes where.
Old November 1st, 2014, 07:00 AM

each connector mates with another, right? Unless you are missing connectors and terminals, it should be so easy a drugged monkey could do it.

The factory wiring diagram is nice to have though.

Green, lt blue, purple sounds like Horns or backup lights [green] and START [fat purple]

Photos?
Old November 1st, 2014, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
each connector mates with another, right? Unless you are missing connectors and terminals, it should be so easy a drugged monkey could do it.

The factory wiring diagram is nice to have though.

Green, lt blue, purple sounds like Horns or backup lights [green] and START [fat purple]

Photos?
I know it simple, but something is not right with it, and as I said, I bought the car in parts.

Can fix photos in a few hours.
Old November 1st, 2014, 07:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Do you have a Chassis Service Manual for this car?

Assembling it from scratch would certainly be a reason to get one. Maybe an Assembly Manual and a Fisher Body Manual, too.

And, in your circumstances, it might be worth ten buck to join WildAboutCars and download all three faster than you could buy them on eBay.

Also, the Search function works pretty well. I posted this the day before yesterday:

Headlight switch Position 1:
  • Instrument Lights, through dimmer rheostat, Green wire, PNL LPS fuse, and then Grey wire.
  • Parking Lights (including front and rear parking lights and front and rear sidemarkers) through the TAIL fuse and the Brown wire

Headlight switch Position 2:
  • Instrument Lights, through dimmer rheostat, Green wire, PNL LPS fuse, and then Grey wire.
  • Parking Lights (including front and rear parking lights and front and rear sidemarkers) through the TAIL fuse and the Brown wire
  • Headlights, controlled through dimmer switch, through headlight switch circuit breaker and Light Blue wire:
    • Low Beam filaments on two outer bulbs through the Tan wire
    • High Beam filaments on two outer bulbs plus two inner bulbs, and instrument panel High Beam indicator lamp, all through the Light Green wire.

- Eric
Old November 1st, 2014, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
And, in your circumstances, it might be worth ten buck to join WildAboutCars and download all three faster than you could buy them on eBay.
- Eric

Unfortunately The 68 wiring diagram they scanned from the Service Manual for wildaboutcars is unreadable because it wasn't scanned in high enough resolution but you're right, the Assembly Manual is invaluable for just about everything else
Old November 1st, 2014, 11:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's not great, but it's usable. Compare it to the '72 and '73 manual scans, which are black and white and extremely grainy.
The best thing, as always, is to have a paper original.

The best is either '66 or '67, if I recall, or the separate '66 schematic scan that many of us have copies of, and I try to use those first to answer general questions, bearing in mind the differences between model years (such as parking lights on or off when headlights are on).

- Eric
Old November 1st, 2014, 03:00 PM
Old(s) Fart

If all you are asking about is the headlight wiring from the firewall forward, there are only two wires that run from the dimmer switch to the headlight bulbs. The tan wire powers the low beam filaments and the light green wire powers the high beam filaments. One of each color runs from the firewall connector to the LH headlight bulb (as part of the bundle on the driver's side inner fender). From that bulb, the wires daisy-chain across the core support. The light green wire goes to all four bulbs, the brown one only to the RH low beam bulb. Each bulb connector also has a black ground wire that goes under a screwhead on the core support.

The headlights are just about the simplest circuit on this car.