Dome light fuse keeps popping..as well as the radio fuse pops

Search this Thread

Old February 24th, 2014, 07:14 PM

Dome light fuse keeps popping..as well as the radio fuse pops

When I put the 25a fuse into the accessory fuse spot, at first I can open the driver side door numerous times and it's fine, then something happens and it pops. I take the fuse out and as soon as the new fuse touches the prongs it blows before it's even in place.. And my radio fuse blows and there's a constant buzzing when the car is running.. And suggestions?
Old February 25th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Lansing built

Originally Posted by Oldscutty72
When I put the 25a fuse into the accessory fuse spot, at first I can open the driver side door numerous times and it's fine, then something happens and it pops. I take the fuse out and as soon as the new fuse touches the prongs it blows before it's even in place.. And my radio fuse blows and there's a constant buzzing when the car is running.. And suggestions?
Welcome to C.O.! Well you have your circuits isolated for you. So you need to hook a multi meter set to ohms and go from the load side of the fuse holder and the other to ground if your short is present you will have continuity if so!

Then un-hook each item on that circuit to isolate the item causing the short!
The meter should go to open when you get to culprit.

IIRC Your courtesy lights work off of going to ground when the door opens. When you open the door it could be any accessory lamp or even the door jamb switch power lead maybe contacting metal or even the power wire shorted to ground when slamming the door to make contact?

If you need a service manual for a wiring diagram, join wildaboutcars.com! Free to join and use.

Pat
Old February 25th, 2014, 06:39 AM

Pat thanks for the good detailed advice! Gonna run through that. And hope I can figure it out to avoid taking it to a shop.
Shane
Old December 8th, 2015, 11:08 AM

what did it end up being? i'm having the same problem right now and can't find the short.
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:01 PM

aardvark, Check your cigarette lighter. I have seen quite a few that were loose. To be specific, the lighter end came unscrewed from the ****. This allows the metalic end to droop inside the lighter socket and short it out. This can cause some radios to then blow the ACC/Radio fuse. This is usually just with radios that have a battery back-up lead. Digital stereos for example.
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:03 PM

I read that too about the cigarette lighter. so I pulled mine out completely. and there's still a short :/
Old December 18th, 2015, 06:17 AM

Replacing the door jamb switches did it for me. Had same problem on 1965 Delta and 1980 Cutlass (years apart).
Old December 28th, 2015, 01:56 PM

Unknown

Originally Posted by aardvark
what did it end up being? i'm having the same problem right now and can't find the short.

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't found the issue yet, haven't had time for awhile to dive into it but after talking to some other people about the issue they all say the same thing. Check your grounds, dead shorts. I'm currently looking into replacing my complete harness, original harness is almost untouched but I had a alarm installed and a few years later started having issues.. Fuses blowing for one.. So I ripped out the alarm system and found a donar original harness for the engine compartment and was able to fix my turn signal issue. When I figure out what is causing my dome lights to not work I will post. Note. I did replace my door jam switch and it did the trick so I thought.. Opening and closing the door about 15 times then the fuse popped again..