Rear window defogger

Old March 11th, 2013, 07:04 AM

Rear window defogger

Hi. I ordered a vintage air kit for my car that should arrive soon.....it has a replacement control panel for the dash.....I have rear defogger built in (72 Cutlass S)...and the switch for it is on old panel....my question is if I can simply hook this up to a toggle switch and place elsewhere? I dont need it much, but would like to keep it functional.
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Big red72
Hi. I ordered a vintage air kit for my car that should arrive soon.....it has a replacement control panel for the dash.....I have rear defogger built in (72 Cutlass S)...and the switch for it is on old panel....my question is if I can simply hook this up to a toggle switch and place elsewhere? I dont need it much, but would like to keep it functional.
Sure.

I'm not sure about the Olds switch, but the Chebby switch of the same vintage is a 2-speed switch, with an integral ceramic resistor.

You could either keep it High-only (one speed, no resistor), get a resistor of similar value (on line is a better bet these days than Radio Shack), or just remount the old switch.

- Eric
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:37 AM

Forgot to mention....this is an in-glass defroster. I assume when talking about 2 speeds, you mean that there was a blower on some options?
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

...this is an in-glass defroster.
Whoops. I was thinking of the blowers. Guess it changed in '72.

Never mind.

- Eric
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:05 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Curious as to the build date of yours, my '72 also has the grid type and mine was built 1st week of June (06A) I believe they switched mid year sometime IIRC
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Looking for 71-72 Cutlass

My 71 built in April has the in glass rear defogger with on/off and light in te temp controls. Not sure what type of switch took place but I thought the blower was still available in 71 too?
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:30 PM
"Car"mudgeon

The service manual shows an inline 3 amp fuse in the switch circuit and an inline 30 amp fuse in the power circuit. With the original wiring in place I don't see why you couldn't use an acceptable toggle switch also states the engine must be running for it to function. Someone correct me if I am wrong....
30 amp LED rocker switch
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:42 PM

Thanks!
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Forgot to mention....this is an in-glass defroster. I assume when talking about 2 speeds, you mean that there was a blower on some options?
If you're going to replace your stock AC/defog on glass unit with aftermarket, I know someone on this site who is interested in the switch. PM me and I'll set you up with them.
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:03 PM

If you're going to replace your stock AC/defog on glass unit with aftermarket, I know someone on this site who is interested in the switch. PM me and I'll set you up with them.

Alan, are you talking about the rear def switch on the far right of the temp control gauge? If so, I think all temp control gauges are "switch ready" and just need the toggle and new face plate. I know oldspackrat made me one with a bulb holder and red lens right in front of my eyes in bout 3 mins.
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 72notchback
Alan, are you talking about the rear def switch on the far right of the temp control gauge? If so, I think all temp control gauges are "switch ready" and just need the toggle and new face plate. I know oldspackrat made me one with a bulb holder and red lens right in front of my eyes in bout 3 mins.
Thx, yes I knew that. I'm just keeping my eyes open for a fellow member who needs only the switch. I have several complete units I'm not willing to take apart just for that. The OP said he's replacing his AC faceplate with a new one provided by Vintage Air....

Are you saying Scott has some of the switches for defog on glass?
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:15 PM

He had at least one that came back to cincy with me on my last trip there. I don't know if he has more but worth a try. He has a lot of stuff. I mean a lot. I wanted a new faceplate and wiper plate anyways so the lack of plate wasn't an issue.
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 72notchback
He had at least one that came back to cincy with me on my last trip there. I don't know if he has more but worth a try. He has a lot of stuff. I mean a lot. I wanted a new faceplate and wiper plate anyways so the lack of plate wasn't an issue.
Ok, thanks. I know Scott. Didn't think he had those switches. I'll wait for Big Red to respond first since I already posted that offer to him.

The replacement appliqués for the wiper and faceplate you can get almost anywhere for AC cars. The ones for 'Heater' only cars aren't re popped which make my set-ups more rare since they are in excellent OEM condition.

The only downside to re pop appliqués is they don't have is the raised 'chrome' pattern around the switches for fan speed and defog. That's an easy way to tell them from OEM. Thanks for chiming in, always good to see the participation on this site!
Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:07 PM

I am just wanting to be able to hook up the stock wiring from factory swutch to some sort of aftermarket toggle I can just place somewhere else.....the original switch backing plate on the defrost fell apart in my hands as I was removing the control panel. I suppose it could be repaired....but would like to keep stock control panel together and sell if anyone needs it....hate to to botch up a factory piece. I was able to take the control panel out with all cables in good shape....just the back of the defrost switch broke.
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:59 AM

Know this is old post but Good Eye on the repop face plates! Took me about a year to find the correct 3 postion switch Off, low,high heater / A/C set-up and I just looked at the one (that I found) that sat on my kitchen table for the last year and bingo your spot on...its has the extra chrome highlights you spoke of...sadly my setup's faceplate is faded so badly....so have to go with the repop. I was glad to find the correct '70 style