Help with Clutch safety switch

Old December 4th, 2012, 05:43 PM

Help with Clutch safety switch

Having trouble locating clutch safety switch for 4 speed conversion. Any aftermarket or similar make solutions? Are there other wiring tricks used to accomplish this without the safety switch. Thanks
Old December 4th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Why do you need a clutch safety switch?

It was one of the first things I ripped out when I got my first Chevelle in 1980.
(and now I wish I'd kept that valuable piece of plastic...)

- Eric
Old December 4th, 2012, 06:06 PM

Safety? What other options to keep car from being started while in gear without clutch depressed? Thought I was being prudent or responsible but I don't have to be.
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Propaneking
What other options to keep car from being started while in gear without clutch depressed?
Ummm... Your foot, on the clutch.

And your hand, putting the gearshift in neutral.

I don't know how old you are, but when I learned to drive, cars in general didn't have clutch safety switches, and I was taught that you always start with the clutch pedal depressed, both for safety, and, more important, to reduce the load on the starter, especially on cold days, when the trans. oil is thick.

Besides, you can't start a manual transmission car in gear, anyway. All you do is make the car lurch a little and look stupid to bystanders.

- Eric
Old December 4th, 2012, 09:43 PM

No one is reproducing this item. I bought a NOS one off of EBay for 140.00 a year ago - thought I got a deal. You might try posting in the Parts Wanted forum. There's a lot of guys like 507Olds on this site that kind of specialize in 4 speed conversions and might have a good used one. Good luck!
Old December 5th, 2012, 04:37 AM

safety switch

i needed something like this to get my 65 f85 converted to 4spd thru tech at the dragstrip so i installed another brake light switch over the clutch pedal arm and was able to plug the neutral safety switch harness into it.you have to depress the clutch pedal for it to turn over.
Old December 5th, 2012, 07:40 AM

I have been through tech at a number of strips multiple times and no one has ever asked about a safety switch. Tell them to show you the rule in the NHRA rule book! 66s didn't come with them and I learned decades ago to make sure it is in neutral before starting. I prefer not to press the pedal so there is no load on the thrust bearing.
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:00 AM

switch

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
I have been through tech at a number of strips multiple times and no one has ever asked about a safety switch. Tell them to show you the rule in the NHRA rule book! 66s didn't come with them and I learned decades ago to make sure it is in neutral before starting. I prefer not to press the pedal so there is no load on the thrust bearing.
at new england dragway,n.h. you have to show them the car wont turn over in gear,i have had different techs not ask for this there but some do.ive seen them require it on *** chevy. they were ihra there so i dont know if that makes a difference.they are back to nhra now
Old December 5th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

For whatever it's worth, the original part number is 1993493, and, interestingly, it seems to be Olds-only.

Good luck!

- Eric
Old December 5th, 2012, 10:15 AM

Most wiring harnesses have the purple wires for the automatic transmission safety switch that usually is on the steering column (column shift cars). Add a switch across those wires.