Alternator

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:33 PM

Alternator

Hello all.I am new to the site and I have purchased my 2nd 72 cutlass supreme so I will have many questions in the future but for now I would like to know how to correctly wire up my alt in my 72 cutlass.Where does the positive wire and the ground wire go?
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:45 PM

I'm glad to see you are on your second Cutlass, welcome to the site.

For your question, there is not a "ground" and a positive. There is an output wire to charge the battery most call positive and the case is considered ground. If your car still has the external regulator you have a 2 wire plug that has a white and blue wire contained in it. This is the field and something else for the alternator. I'm not sure what the internal regulated plug has for wire colors.

I think you could start with a chassis manual. I don't have one in front of me but I have one around here somewhere.

If your car is externally regulated you will have a black box on the firewall above the dristributor. If has been removed or unplugged probably have an internally regulated alternator.

Give us some more information on what you are trying to accomplish.
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Thank you for the reply.I do have the black box located above the distributor.Is it called the voltage regulator? I was just curious to know where the negative battery cable goes when it comes from the battery?Where is it suppose to ground to?

My gen/alt light stays on when I drive.I recently replaced my voltage regulator on the fire wall because when I unplugged the battery cable while the engine was running the car would cut off.Could that have something to do with my alternator?

Thank you gentleman for all of your help.
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:37 PM
same but different

Originally Posted by projectheaven
Thank you for the reply.I do have the black box located above the distributor.Is it called the voltage regulator? I was just curious to know where the negative battery cable goes when it comes from the battery?Where is it suppose to ground to?

Yes the black box is your voltage regulator.

Negative battery cable goes to the engine block. You can attach it one of many bolts that already fasten the power steering bracket or alternator to the block. There may be an empty threaded hole in the front of the head, you could attach there also.
Old January 6th, 2008, 05:22 AM

You will also want have a Neg lead from Batt to body