I'm stuck no power at all

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2012, 08:56 PM

I'm stuck no power at all

I just dropped a new engine in my 72 supreme and when I turn on the ign switch I get nothing. I don't have the entire dash wired up just the column and engine harness. I have ground to the core support from the negative cable then negative cable to the head and alternator bracket. I also have the block to the firewall grounded and the block to the frame. So I don't think it's a ground problem. Also if I use a multimeter I get 12v from the pos side of the battery when I touch the neg probe to block, frame core or body so that seems to indicate good ground. Would someone be able to tell me exactly what wiring is absolutely necessary to start the car? I am really concerned with the dash harness because under the hood is pretty straightforward. It's a 350 with regulator in the Alternator and hei

Thanks
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:09 PM

I would look at your neutral safety switch. It should be on top of the column down toward the floorboard. If that isn't hooked up, or is out of adjustment it would do exactly what your describing. Turn the key and nothing. John
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:38 PM

Thanks, I was looking at that as a possibility but not sure how it is supposed to work. What I have done is I am using a colum out of a console shift car and mine is a convertible. I was just trying to get the car started for testing before putting in the new correct column and dash. I guess I may need to use the other column or at least the switch. Also one thing that was puzzling was when I hooked up the battery cables I didn't get a spark. Usually use get a little spark whe you connect the cables but not this time.
Old June 10th, 2012, 10:02 PM

I believe the 1969 and 70 columns in console shift cars had the neutral safety switch on the floor shifter. But if your column is from a 71-72 with either floor or column shifter the switch should be on it. If you don't have a Chassis Service Manual I'd encourage you to go to Wildaboutcars.com and download the pages you need for the wiring diagrams. If it would help I could take some pictures after work tomorrow of what it looks like and what color the wires are in a 1971 Cutlass. John
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:05 PM

Thanks, i have the manuals and am going to start digging again. the wiring diagram is a mess but i have been able to trace a few things down, stray wires etc. for instance the trans switch vacuum tree thing on the front of the intake. i will see what i can make of it regarding this problem and post back if i need the pics. i appreciatge the offer and may take you up on it. the columns are both out of 72 supremes, the one i am using now is out of the parts car, hardtop console, there was one connector to the neutral saftey switch not hooked up before i took the column out of the donor. it was a two pronged connector with both wires purple. I suspect that may be the problem somehow, maybe a bad switch.
Old June 11th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I wouldn't run the car on a partial harness. Too many "loose ends" to cause potential problems.

Why not just disconnect the heavy red wire from the horn relay, then run 12v to the distributor, connect a wire to the "S" terminal of the solenoid, and touch that wire to the "+" terminal of the battery to turn the starter?
Nice and simple, and no worries about frying something that's hanging off the harness somewhere.

- Eric
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:51 PM

Problem solved, dug up the old neutral start switch plugged it in an started right up. I wanted to have the harness connected because i had to clean it up and put it all back together so while it was connected i checked it all out. I dont want the to get the dash in and find that something is missing or broken etc. i made sure to disconnect everything subject to becoming toast and all is well. thanks to you all for the help. On to the next part of the project