help with HEI distributor no spark

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2012, 09:04 AM

help with HEI distributor no spark

When I pulled the distributor out about a month ago it worked fine. I did nothing but pull it out and set it on a table. I put it back in and I am getting no spark. I have power going to the distributor and I have tried replacing the coil and the pick up coil. What would be my next move. I figure I could keep replacing parts, or could I bring the distributor somewhere to have it checked out? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Is the power wire on the BATT + on the cap? Check the wires going to the module. The plate can move around and break the wires or ground them out. The Module could be bad. Is this a newer HEI or a bonyard find?
How are you testing for "no spark?" Ive seen gas fouled plugs produce zero spark.
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:18 AM

The spark plugs are brand new. I tried checking for spark with a plug and a test light. I have had the distributor apart and everything looks good. That being said I do not know much about these. I am positive that I am getting power to the distributor
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:01 AM

Finn,

Check for wire problem as droldsmorland mentioned then,

Does the rotor turn when cranking?

Is the power to the distributor full battery voltage, not through a resistor wire from an earlier point type distributor?

Does the distributor get full battery voltage to it while cranking, not just while in the run position?

Have you checked for spark at multiple plug wires?

Check the underside of the rotor for burn through directly opposite where the carbon button contact from the distributor cap would point. If this is burned through (not that uncommon) the spark will ground to the distributor shaft and not flow to the plug wires.

The new pickup coil should read 500-1500 ohms IIRC correctly...if all of this checks ok than it sounds like a module but I cannot offer any explanation why it would fail from just sitting.
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:19 PM

everything seems to be fine, I have also replaced the ignition module. I took mine to an auto parts place that tested if for me and it was bad. After putting in the new Ignition module I am still getting no spark. I don't know what else to do?
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Are you sure you have 12v to it while cranking?
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Finn5033
everything seems to be fine, I have also replaced the ignition module. I took mine to an auto parts place that tested if for me and it was bad. After putting in the new Ignition module I am still getting no spark. I don't know what else to do?

Did they test the new one they sold you?
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:40 PM

Had the same problem about a year ago. It turned out that it was the hot wire plug in going into the distributor cap. When I plugged it in, the metal tang went on the wrong side and didn't make contact. Pulled my hair out for quite awile on that one. Check your plug in.
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Highwayman
Did they test the new one they sold you?
+1.

Replaced one last month. Had the guy test the new one after testing the old one. The new one was bad, too. Had to go to another store to get one that was good.

- Eric
Old May 5th, 2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
+1.

Replaced one last month. Had the guy test the new one after testing the old one. The new one was bad, too. Had to go to another store to get one that was good.

- Eric
+2 I bought a new one once and it was bad, seems people bring back bad parts and they go back on the shelf....
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:24 PM

The more I read these threads, the more I like points.
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by highwayman
the more i read these threads, the more i like points.
+1.
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM

Ok guys, after 7 hours of messing around I finally got spark out of it. After replacing the coil, the pick-up coil and the ignition module and still getting no spark I pulled the distributor out and ran power directly to it from a small battery charger. I used a test light and just turned the gear by hand and checked each post. Doing it this way I was getting power to the posts. Then I put on a wire and got power through the wire. For some reason when I put the distibutor back in I was getting spark now? @Ziff396, I had noticed what you were mentioning earlier and considered that to be a possiblity, maybe that is all it was. Either way it is working now after spending $75 in parts. Does anyone know where the single light orange wire with clip goes too? I have the double black plug that goes to the distributor but there is also that orange wire that is hot when the ignition is on. I can't remember where that one goes. Also does the power to the distributor have a fuse on the fuse panel or anywhere else? I would like to see what shape it is in if there is one.

Last edited by Finn5033; May 7th, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Finn5033
...does the power to the distributor have a fuse on the fuse panel or anywhere else? I would like to see what shape it is in if there is one.
There is no fuse - it goes through the firewall connector and straight to the ignition switch.

- Eric
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Just the facts...

light orange wire?? it should be pink/red and at least 12 gauge that plugs into the B+ terminal on the HEI.

and as for points, once i went HEI i never looked back... ZERO problems in 30 years.

bill
Old October 11th, 2014, 09:11 PM

Im having the same problem car was giving spark have not ran the car for awhile put new battery turns over no spark there are to wires hanging under the dash maybe my kids knocked them off not sure if that could cause the problem?
Old October 11th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Your going to have to do some checking on your own, run with the suggestions above. Welcome to the site.