ignition problems, starter won't turn off, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2011, 11:29 AM

ignition problems, starter won't turn off, HELP!

OK guys, I have a new one for the books, at least for me. Started my car up today backed up without letting the car warm for a few seconds, it cut off on me but the starter kept turning, it wasn't engaged just was whinning, I took the battery posts off, let it sit for a ninute and when I hooked it back up, the starter is still whinning (and so am i cause it's a beautiful day out and I have only had the car out 1 other day in the past 4 years)

I took the starter out wires were good and took the starter to Riley's and had it bench tested, all good. I hooked up the battery and turned the ignition on to see if the wires got hot, they didn't.

Has anyone experienced this and if so what ws the problem, for those who didn't suggestions are appreciated. I have a suspecion, but want other input.

Thanks in advance!
Old September 24th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Administrator

If you disconnect the 2 small wires and just hook up the big one from the battery and ground, what happens. If the starter turns, its your solenoid coil, and or bendix. The only tiem the starter is acuated is from the S post from the key! SO if you jumper the S post to the big post it should start. The I post feeds 12v back to your ignition!
Old September 24th, 2011, 12:43 PM

I have found that the points inside of a solenoid also stick or don't make contact, under load they weld together just enough to keep the starter motor engaged.
I have also had a starter run on after the key is turned off and found that a faulty switch can cause problems, even the starter can act up if the alignment is out requiring shimming.
Old September 24th, 2011, 01:10 PM

I was thinking either the solenoid or the ignition switch. After posting, I went back out and installed the starter, tightened the little box on the fenderwell that the starter heavy gage wire goes to, it was slightly loose, and the car started up and turned off without a problem. I don't want to be wondering if this is going to happen when I am not at home so I am going to pick up a solenoid and replace it since they are under $20 bucks., couldn't find a local ignition switch, gonna order one just to have on hand.

I am going to take the two small wires off before I change the solenoid just to see what happens although it's not happening, or would that matter?
Thanks for the replies, car show here I come tomorrow!