Sport wheel horn contact ring

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2011, 09:08 AM

Sport wheel horn contact ring

Has anyone ever had trouble, problems with their contact ring.With the horn 'button' off, if I push down on the contact ring in just the right spots, the horn will sound. In some spots nothing.With the horn button on, it wont work at all. Any suggestions much appreciated.

[I am a little concerned that I may have to get the old girl saftied before I can get my licence sticker.]
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bunser
Has anyone ever had trouble, problems with their contact ring.With the horn 'button' off, if I push down on the contact ring in just the right spots, the horn will sound. In some spots nothing.With the horn button on, it wont work at all. Any suggestions much appreciated.

[I am a little concerned that I may have to get the old girl saftied before I can get my licence sticker.]
The contact rings in the assembly get rusty, causing the problems. You can push the centers of the plastic rivets out (push from the bottom of the horn ring), which allows you to remove the rivets and disassemble the ring for cleaning. If you were careful, you can reinstall the plastic rivets. If not, repros are available at a substantial price (something like $9 for three). Of course, a repro horn ring is also available.
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:37 PM

Taken apart, cleaned and re assembled.Works as it is supposed to.Thanks Joe.