Resistance wire clarification

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:11 AM

Resistance wire clarification

I use the Pertronix ignition setup. I removed the resistance wire from the starter and hooked up a dedicated 12v source from under the dash to the + side of coil. Now the second resistance wire coming through the firewall (brown wire that says resistance on it); does that go to the positive side of the coil? Unfortunately I can't remember.

d1
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:16 AM

Here is the instructions per Pertronix it's been a while since I hooked mine up so I hope this helps ... I do run a Summit racing capacitive discharge and a Pertronix coil with it knock on wood has been trouble free for years ....

http://www.pertronix.com/support/man...itor12vneg.pdf
Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:07 PM

I got the Pertronix hooked up correctly. Just not sure what the resistance wire coming out of the firewall is for. What does it affect and does it need to be hooked to the positive side of coil?
Old May 3rd, 2011, 04:34 PM

Sorry I am a little confused you say you removed the "resistor wire from the starter to the coil " The wire from the starter to the coil is for points applications where you want a full 12 volts during cranking of the starter ...if I remember correctly the only other wire from the firewall that would say resister would be one for the points triggered by "ignition on source " if it says resistor you would want a full 12 Volts with the pertronix system , You might want to measure the wire with ignition on and off and see if this wire comes from the ignition switch ,,, I have a 68-69 wiring diagram on a pdf file if it will help you but with out actually seeing it not sure if I fully understand your setup .... If you want the diagram let me know I can email it to you ... I hope I didn't confuse you because I think I confused myself ....lol

I found this article with a diagram maybe it can help ... http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_1.../photo_02.html

Last edited by Lalo442; May 3rd, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lalo442
Sorry I am a little confused you say you removed the "resistor wire from the starter to the coil " The wire from the starter to the coil is for points applications where you want a full 12 volts during cranking of the starter ...if I remember correctly the only other wire from the firewall that would say resister would be one for the points triggered by "ignition on source " if it says resistor you would want a full 12 Volts with the pertronix system , You might want to measure the wire with ignition on and off and see if this wire comes from the ignition switch ,,, I have a 68-69 wiring diagram on a pdf file if it will help you but with out actually seeing it not sure if I fully understand your setup .... If you want the diagram let me know I can email it to you ... I hope I didn't confuse you because I think I confused myself ....lol

I found this article with a diagram maybe it can help ... http://www.hotrod.com/pitstop/hrdp_1.../photo_02.html

Damn. I think I had (2) 12 volt hot ignition source wires going to the coil + side. Is that possible w/o burning something up??! According to the diagram I have a question about the one that comes from the pink wire/purple wire.

I will have to get the multimeter out and test it to be sure...

thanks

Last edited by defiant1; May 3rd, 2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:33 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There are two wires that power the stock points ignition:
  • a NON-resistance wire from the starter to the coil to provide full power from the battery while cranking, and
  • a resistance wire from the fuse box to power the coil under all other circumstances.
The wire you have there is the second wire mentioned above.
You don't need to connect it to anything.
It is of no use to you.
Just tape it off and put it somewhere inconspicuous, so you can hook it up when your electronic ignition fails and you switch back to the spare points set that you keep in your glove compartment.

- Eric
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
There are two wires that power the stock points ignition:
  • a NON-resistance wire from the starter to the coil to provide full power from the battery while cranking, and
  • a resistance wire from the fuse box to power the coil under all other circumstances.
The wire you have there is the second wire mentioned above.
You don't need to connect it to anything.
It is of no use to you.
Just tape it off and put it somewhere inconspicuous, so you can hook it up when your electronic ignition fails and you switch back to the spare points set that you keep in your glove compartment.

- Eric
Ok, thanks Eric. I vaguely remember last summer talking to the tech support from Pertronix that said I did not need the NON resistance wire from starter, but could use the resistance wire in conjunction with a full 12 volt source. I think it is all clear now. I will just tuck away the resistance wire for now, no sense cluttering up engine compartment.

Thanks guys.

d1
Old May 3rd, 2011, 06:56 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It won't hurt anything to leave both the NON-resistance 12v power wire and the old resistance wire connected to the same place, PROVIDED that they both get their power from the same place (usually the heavy pink wire out of the ignition switch).

Since electricity, as the saying goes, chooses the path of least resistance, having a secondary path along the resistance wire will do nothing at all.
HOWEVER, if the new wire is drawing juice from some different spot, THEN having both connected together could brighten your life with very unusual electrical gremlins, such as things that seem to turn on when the ignition is turned off.

- Eric
Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:03 PM

depending on the car if you have a wire from the starter it is wise to leave. some cars will lose the ignition circuit when the ignition switch is in the start position. not all do this but some will. with out the wire from the starter the car wont start when the starter is engaged but may fire when you let off the key.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:52 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Good point! I had forgotten about that - mid-'60's cars with in-dash ignition switches, right?

- Eric