Help!! 72 cutlass supreme wont start

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Help!! 72 cutlass supreme wont start

I'm a newbie so bare with me guys. just recently bought my first project car. guy said it ran until the starter went out 3 weeks ago. i bought and installed a new one and still nothing. so i had the old one checked and come to find out it is good. battery is good. seems like starter isn't getting any power. what do i check next? ignition switch? if so, how?? i didn't realize it was gonna be so frustrating. i thought it was supposed to be enjoyable!!! i just want to hear the old girl run so i don't get discouraged and lose interest. any thoughts or help would be much appreciated!!!!!!!
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:14 PM

It is fun and you can't beat that great feeling of success after you have solved the problem.check all the connections double check the ground.You said it does nothing.Does it make any noise at all any clicking sound. can you turn the engine over by hand.have you heard the eng run be for you got it?
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:25 PM

Do you have any power to any thing when you turn the key on. It could be a few things. Fuse link, post on the horn relay rusted, battery cable end bad or needs to be cleaned. If you have power with the key on. I would test the hot wire going to the start. Also check the battery cable going to the starter. A few things to check I would do this before spending money.
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:34 PM

thanks for the info guys. when you turn the key there is no sound at all. the idiot lights in the dash come on when the key is turned but thats it. no clicking sound. thats what leads me to believe that there is no power getting to the starter. no i have never heard the car run, thats why i am getting so antsy. i got the car from an old man who just wanted rid of it. i got her for a crazy cheap price so i can't complain too much. did i mention yet that i am dying to hear her run????? ha!ha!
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:46 PM

starter solenoid, check neg battery cable to where it mounts at the frame

try tapping the starter (and the solenoid) lightly with a hammer while the key is in the start position (with a helper - I like a small child for the helper)

all of this is assuming the car is in PARK and the neutral safety switch is working properly (try holding the key in START position while shifting slowly through the gears)

but don't hold it in start for too long - I learned the hard way on that

Last edited by jeffreyalman; March 31st, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old March 31st, 2010, 09:28 PM

had the starter checked and it is good. starter will kick when it gets power. now the neutral safety switch you speak of is something i havent checked. what is the easiest way to check it?
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by publicenemy#1
had the starter checked and it is good. starter will kick when it gets power. now the neutral safety switch you speak of is something i havent checked. what is the easiest way to check it?
(try holding the key in START position while shifting slowly through the gears)
Old April 1st, 2010, 05:25 AM

Short it.
The switch is located at the base of the steery column above the sideways "S" in this picture.

Pull the plug off of it.
It will have two thick purple (?) wires that will need to be shorted with a small length of thick wire (16ga). Just make sure you do not make a short to any nearby metal or sparks may fly!

If still no workie, use a voltmeter ot test light and check for voltage at those wires while turning to START. One of them should give you something. If not, then the ignition switch will be the next culprit...
Old April 1st, 2010, 05:59 AM

I have always liked to keep a hammer handy too to tap the starter and solenoid lightly tap tap tap

I also used to have a friend that had a chipped flywheel and she had to shimmy under her POS Dodge Omni with a socket wrench to turn the engine by hand

She ALWAYS got it started
Old April 5th, 2010, 07:41 PM

quick update. changed ignition switch and still nothing at all. i lowered the steering column and right away i got sooo excited!!!! one of the wires was unplugged from the ignition switch!!! i thought....BINGO!!!! there is my problem. i plugged it back in and .......nothing. so i installed a brand new ignition switch and......nothing. i was really hoping that was the problem. now on to the next thing. i'm gonna check the ground wire to the frame. also maybe change battery terminal wires????
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:26 AM

How did the tests on the neutral safety switch go?

If you turn on the lights and they stay bright when turning to start, then the battery terminals would be okay.

Is the negative battery cable connected securely to the engine block?
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:21 AM

I'll take the neutral start switch for 100 Alex!!!!
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
I have always liked to keep a hammer handy too to tap the starter and solenoid lightly tap tap tap

I also used to have a friend that had a chipped flywheel and she had to shimmy under her POS Dodge Omni with a socket wrench to turn the engine by hand

She ALWAYS got it started
I used to do the same with my 73 Lincoln Continental. Eventually the flywheel wore off a bit too much though.
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:28 AM

Check or replace the battery cable to the starter, I had the same problem two years ago, plenty of juice to the lights, dash etc. but no clicking..nothing from the starter, it was the battery cable. Had the same thing with Toronado 20 years ago. Should not have to tap on a starter that tests good.
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:33 AM

so bare with me
Not a chance! I take my clothes off for no one!

Besides, I don't think removing my clothes (or you removing yours) will help the problem.

Old April 8th, 2010, 07:43 PM

hey guys, i had someone tell me today that they would be willing to bet that it is the solenoid switch?? is there such a thing??? if so, where is it located? i know , i know i told you guys this was my first attempt at anything this complex. i am learning a little each day though.
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:05 PM

Clean/tight terminal connections at battery?
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by jeffreyalman
starter solenoid, check neg battery cable to where it mounts at the frame

try tapping the starter (and the solenoid) lightly with a hammer while the key is in the start position (with a helper - I like a small child for the helper)

all of this is assuming the car is in PARK and the neutral safety switch is working properly (try holding the key in START position while shifting slowly through the gears)

but don't hold it in start for too long - I learned the hard way on that
Old April 9th, 2010, 05:01 AM

hey guys, i had someone tell me today that they would be willing to bet that it is the solenoid switch?? is there such a thing??? if so, where is it located?
This would be the starter solenoid, the cylinder mounted on starter itself. If you replaced the starter, it might have a new one premounted.
Jefferyalman wrote how to test it and check wiring to it.

Did you ever short across the neutral safety switch?
Old July 9th, 2010, 07:57 PM

Wow, this sounds so similar to my problem... I am lost to and not sure what to do?
Old October 13th, 2013, 06:52 PM

I am having the same problem, car was running fine then I parked at the gas station to fill up then when I was ready to leave my car was not. Not even a click, checked the wiring - ok but I did not check the battery terminals. we'll see.
Old October 13th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Instead of resurrecting an old thread you might want to start one of your own. First check and clean your battery terminals and make sure your connections at the starter are lean and tight also.