67 Speaker

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM

67 Speaker

67 442, with A/C, AM radio

Radio doesn't work, but speaker on rear deck looks to be totally shot as well.

The paper/cone is almost non existent, and one of the wires at the speaker connector (in the harness) is bare and frayed. It does still have some little round gizmo next to it, that looks like a condensor or round doodad.

At this point, while I've wrestled with putting an aftermarket am/fm in it, or something that I can play an ipod through, I'm thinking about just putting a working stock AM radio back in it.

Even if I do that, I know I need speaker work.

I can splice in new piece on the end of the harness I assume, but that speaker is shot. The speaker wires obviously looks tiny compared to the big speaker wire you'd normally buy today, but if I have to run new speaker wire from front to back via under the carpet, I'd probably just put some sort of FM in it.

Any suggestions on what to do with the speaker?

Reliable Repair? Reliable, correct OHM replacements? Other?

Last edited by Flye; August 11th, 2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old August 9th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Registered

Do they have wireless Ipod things for cars? may have to have an FM radio though?
My 8 track to-cassette adapter with a cassette to MP3 player adapter sort of works.

I replaced both of the speakers in my all stock Vista Cruiser with the original type from this place and they're a direct replacement, no problems, work good.

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm
Old August 9th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Oldsdruid

Sounds like that rear speaker may have already been replaced with an 8 ohm piece and had a 2 ohm resistor put in.

Dash speaker is in the dash fascia on these cars facing the passengers, not under the metal part of dash. Should be typical GM 4x10.

It's a little more expensive than the aftermarket speaker route, but there are several guys who rebuild/restore those speakers. When they're done, they have that Delco sound same as when new. Last ones I had done were about $45 each by Jackson Speaker Service in Jackson MI 517-789-6400.

Advantage of reconing is you have what was designed to fit in there and don't have to worry about magnets hitting ductwork or speakers buzzing against something else under there.

Since AM-FM are pretty rare for these, I'd use a factory AM unit and speakers and hide a modern head unit somewhere. That way you have your tunes.
Old August 10th, 2009, 04:08 PM

keep the AM!

If you decide to keep the AM radio, you can use and adapter like this:http://www.rediscoveradio.com Simple and pain free. Plus you can hook up whatever you have: portable cd player, satellite radio, iPOD, etc.

Last edited by radioburningchrome; August 10th, 2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old August 11th, 2009, 03:17 AM

Watched the videos on that product.

Sure looks like it'd be the ticket. While it wouldn't have the fidelity of FM, it should be good enough for what I want.

Has anyone bought it to see if it works as good as it says?

Nice product if it works.....

Thanks,