Turn signal issues

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Turn signal issues

I have a question that I hope some one can answer. I am having problems with my turn signals as follows: Turn left signal on and all dash lights blink with blinker. Turn right blinker on and it doesn't blink the front blinker until I jiggle the turn signal lever around. If I turn the headlights on the left front turn signal comes on steady (without blinking) and the left turn dash indicator stays on. The car sat in the desert for 20 years or so and I am thinking that the turn signal switch is bad and I want to replace it, problem is that when I had the wheel apart during restoration I could not get the cover off of the steering column that is over the switch. Is there a special tool that is required to get it off? I have included a very crude drawing of the cover from the vantage point of the end of the steering column. There is a spring clip that I could see under the cover but I could never get it to release to allow removal of the cover.

Last edited by Willidog; December 8th, 2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:40 PM

I think there is a tool that pushes that lock plate down enough for you to get the spring clip off; it is spring loaded. Some have improvised for this tool with some southern engineering, so hopefully someone will post their method...
As for the dash light issue, check and clean the contacts at the inst. cluster and make sure the ground is good.
Sounds like the TS switch is still faulty, if jiggling it make it work 1/2 arsed...
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I think there is a tool that pushes that lock plate down...
Ironically, it's called a "lock plate compressor"...

You can get one from the usual specialty tool sources - KD, Lisle, etc.
Old June 30th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Don't bet on the switch being the issue. I'm not saying it's not, but I'd look into your wiring both under the dash and under the hood.
Sitting in the dessert you never know what animals have gotten in there and had lunch on the wiring. That or even the insulation just cracking off from the head and you have crossed wires.
I recently replced my under hood wiring for both the engine and the front light harness. That fixed a BUNCH of issues I was having. It also increased the intensity of my headlights by more than double.

There are two main harensses that bolt to the firewall on the engine side of the fuse box. The clip together and are held on with one bolt. It's a bit of a PITA to get at, but can be done with some effort without removing the brake booster.

Whatever you do don't assume it's one thing and trudge down that road thinking it's going to fix it. Because inevitably it won't and then the frustration ensues.

Good luck with it. I know I'd be pulling my hair out. I HATE chasing wiring issues.
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Originally Posted by svnt442

Whatever you do don't assume it's one thing and trudge down that road thinking it's going to fix it. Because inevitably it won't and then the frustration ensues.

Good luck with it. I know I'd be pulling my hair out. I HATE chasing wiring issues.
You were right, it was a light bulb. I still think I should change out the switch though cause it is difficult to operate even after spraying contact cleaner and a lubricant into it.