At a Loss and Not sure what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2017, 10:23 AM

At a Loss and Not sure what to do next?

I bought the 1970 Cutlass from my Dad. He bought it around 2012...I think. He was told that it has a 1975 350 rocket. So that is what I am going with because I don't know how to tell the difference...YET!

He pulled the engine out over 4 years ago to let his "BUDDY" help him to paint it Rocket gold. He never showed up again and the engine sat on the cherry picker for about 1 1/2. I went home (to Oklahoma) August 2015, and put the engine back in. We where able to get it to crank, but no start. We also fried the starter wire and the Black battery cable melted from cranking it to much?

Went back to Oklahoma on March 10, 2017, to put it on trailer and bring it to my home in Arizona. While in OK, we changed the cable, made sure it was grounded correctly, fixed the starter, still cranks, but now it has no spark!

Changed the HEI rotor, coil, two of the three Relay Boxes, and the magnetic pickup inside the distributer cap. When we tried to put the positive cable back on, it sparks. I have a hot wire somewhere!

Do I chase wires, replace all wires (engine and car), or is there something I am missing?

Also we installed a electric fuel pump because we think the mechanical is not hitting the rocker arm correctly. We have fuel to the carb and we also cleaned the junk out of the carb.

The car did sit in a carport out in the country (by a farm) for many years. I think the field rats, mice and squirrels got the best of the wires chewed?
Old March 24th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Administrator

If you have a standard HEI, bypass the boxes with a jumper from your pos battery cable to the BAtt+ terminal on the HEI. The spark when you connect the battery cable may be that your fuel pump has power going to it with key off.
Old March 24th, 2017, 11:15 AM

I see you are in Queen Creek. You should head out to the Rock 'n Roll McDonalds's at the Pavilions in Scottsdale tomorrow morning for the All Olds Car Show from 9am to 1pm. There should be nearly 100 Oldsmobiles there and this would be an excellent opportunity for you to meet the folks in the Olds Club of Arizona. I think there are several members in your area and one of them may be close enough to stop by and lend a hand with your car.

9180 E Indian Bend Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85250

Map:

Last edited by Fun71; March 24th, 2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old March 24th, 2017, 11:38 AM

Thank you for the information. unfortunately I will be at work during that time.
It is nice to know that I might have some knowledge around my area cause I am going to need it. This will be my first project car ever and I am not a novice at this. I know the basics and need the challenge.