battery circuit question

Old March 5th, 2017, 01:45 PM

battery circuit question

I'll start off directly with the question. The car is a '78 Toronado that hasn't run in at least 5 years, probably 10. It has not had a battery in it all this time. There is no battery in the car now. If I put an ohmmeter across the battery cable ends, I should not get a closed circuit, correct? I DO get continuity (zero Ohms resistance) in this car.

I've replaced the battery cables, spark plug wires, and spark plugs. I've done a few other things so far in the 9 days (to date) I've had the car, but they're not electrical related. Before trying to start the car, I'm going through the fuel system from end to end, and I'm only half done with that.

If there should not be a short circuit, and I can't imagine that there should be, how on earth does one begin to look for the short?

Thanks.
Old March 5th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Administrator

I've never actually tried that... I look for voltages, remember ohming across a lamp or coil reads a short.
Old March 5th, 2017, 04:09 PM

You may show continuity. Any light switch or anything that is on closing a circuit through a bulb, motor, etc. Check it with doors, hood and trunk closed, switches off. When you do install battery and connect cables, Check it with test light between neg cable and negative post. It could even be a clock.
Old March 5th, 2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I look for voltages, remember ohming across a lamp or coil reads a short.
I thought of this, and I wondered if what I was doing was a legitimate thing to do.

But this response nailed it:

Originally Posted by m371961
You may show continuity. Any light switch or anything that is on closing a circuit through a bulb, motor, etc. Check it with doors, hood and trunk closed, switches off. When you do install battery and connect cables, Check it with test light between neg cable and negative post. It could even be a clock.
Bless you, my son, bless you. I never thought of this. I had both doors open because I've been letting the car air out as it smells a bit musty after having sat so long. As soon as I closed the doors, bingo! No short circuit.

The car does have a clock, too, but there's apparently enough resistance through it (it works and is connected, so far as I know) that it doesn't cause the appearance of a closed circuit.

Thanks again. I owe you several beers!
Old March 5th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Incandescent bulbs have essentially zero resistance until their filaments have been heated to glowing, at which point they conduct their rated amount of current, thus when supplied with less-than-rated voltage they present essentially an open circuit.

- Eric
Old March 6th, 2017, 05:56 AM

You are welcome. While I need all the blessing I can get, I prefer German or Belgian wheats, German or Czech Lagers, or British IPAs and Porters. Even American micro-brews can't compare in those selections. (But a few come close)
Old March 6th, 2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by m371961
I prefer German or Belgian wheats, German or Czech Lagers, or British IPAs and Porters.
They're on the way!