1972 Cutlass Front Parking light issue

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2017, 11:20 AM

1972 Cutlass Front Parking light issue

Weird issue, maybe it is just a dirty/bad connection.

Turn signals were not working so I changed all the light bulbs in the front and back of the 72 Cutlass. I also changed the flasher module under dash. Now when I turn the headlights on the passenger side parking light goes on but not the driver side. When I turn the driver side turn signal that flashes but the passenger side does not flash. When I turn on the hazards the driver side flashes but not the Passenger side. So clearly on passenger side, one circuit is hot but not the other and its reversed on the other. Could it be that I replaced the passenger side socket and wire pigtail with a driver side. I wouldn't think they are different, though I did notice the lens says RH and LH so now I have two RH.

Steven
Old March 5th, 2017, 04:24 PM

Can you put the old flash module back in to see if stuff starts working again?
Old March 5th, 2017, 04:33 PM

Also, in the beginning, were both side blinkers not working or just one. If a bulb is burnt out that side won't blink.
Old March 5th, 2017, 06:30 PM

Same thing happened before I changed any lights except even the right rear turn signal would not blink, just illuminated and stayed bright. i changed all the lights first and the blinkers still wouldn't work. Then I changed the flasher and now both taillights blink as they should with turn signals or flashers on. The more I think about it I bet a bad/dirty connection with the hot lead to the front parking lamps.

Just happens that on one side its the parking light lead and on the other side its the flasher lead.
Old March 5th, 2017, 06:44 PM

Makes sense. Let us know if it works.
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:32 AM

I checked the leads coming from the front light wiring harness and they definately worked. Interestingly the flasher voltage never dropped to 0 went from almost 18 down to 9 back up to 18. After disconnecting and reconnecting I was able to get the turn signals to work but now neither parking light works.

Just to be clear as this is my first 72 since i owned one 30 years ago. The round parking/turn signal lights in the front should be lit when the headlights are on correct?
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Administrator

If your reading 18v, there is a problem. Measure the voltage at the battery to be safe.
Old March 7th, 2017, 08:00 PM

rechecked with a different meter, it was 14V. I played with the wires and got all the lights working correctly. Clearly there is a dirty/loose connection with the front parking lights. And yes they do illuminate when the headlights are on.

Last edited by stevengerard; March 7th, 2017 at 08:05 PM.