Car will not shutoff

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2017, 10:04 AM

Car will not shutoff

We're trying to figure out why my friends 73 Omega, won't shut off. He put a new steering column in because the lock cylinder hole was damaged. Don't know if the problem existed before that. Tried a new ignition switch didn't change anything. Starts and runs fine but turns the key to off and car stays running. It's got HEI, and an MSD module. 350 column shift auto. column was out of same year Omega.
Old March 4th, 2017, 10:52 AM

Sounds as if the ignition switch may not be connected to the mechanical link so the electrical contact is not opening when it should. Have you verified the link moves when the key is turned?
Old March 4th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Somehow you are not switching off the voltage to the HEI whether from the ignition, and alternate source, or back feeding through the alternator. Look to see where the HEI is connected.
Old March 4th, 2017, 05:23 PM

Why don't you know if the problem existed before. Did it not run before you replaced the column?
Usually it's the last thing changed that is the problem.
If the new column was used then some questions to ask are:

1. Is the wiring shorted on the new column and ( does the ignition switch cut off the power or ground to the ignition)? Because you said the ignition switch is new.

2. Just to be sure is the column from the same year you replaced?

3. Hell, I 'm out of ideas, keep us posted.
Old March 4th, 2017, 05:31 PM

By the way

I traded a car once that would shut off at random while driving and it turned out to be wires in the steering column. Opposite of your problem but proof wires that should not be a problem can.
Old March 4th, 2017, 06:10 PM

I'm going to go look at it tomorrow, as I said it's a friends car. Just wanted to get some things to look for when I see in person. I'm guessing it's something with the column, he bought the car and was starting and stopping it via a screwdriver in the lock cylinder. ( just found that out). Put in a new column from same year car, but was from a floor shift. I'll see whether the new ign switch was installed correctly.
Old March 4th, 2017, 06:24 PM

So was it a column shift car and now the new column is floor shift. Did he change to floor shift? If so its time to check online to see if ignition switch is the same for floor/ column shift and is the column wiring good. At some point here others will chime in with differences of column/ floor shift comparability. Good luck.
Old March 4th, 2017, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by kevdog442
he bought the car and was starting and stopping it via a screwdriver in the lock cylinder.
OK, sounds as if it used to start and stop correctly, then after the column swap it will start but not stop. I'm still thinking the mechanical link from the key cylinder to the ignition switch, but could easily be a wiring issue. My internet troubleshooting says it is in the column area for sure.
Old March 5th, 2017, 07:51 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

First thing to do is to start the car, drop the column, and unplug the ignition switch, and see whether the engine stops, then check the wirse and the switch terminals for proper voltage and continuity.

- Eric
Old March 5th, 2017, 08:04 PM

If it has a MSD box,it could be the issue. I know I had a car with an MSD box and it back fed through the voltage regulator and wouldn't shut off. I had to install a one way diode into one of the regulator wires. The car had an external voltage regulator but a 73 probably doesn't. Just tryin to help.
Old March 6th, 2017, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
If it has a MSD box,it could be the issue. I know I had a car with an MSD box and it back fed through the voltage regulator and wouldn't shut off. I had to install a one way diode into one of the regulator wires. The car had an external voltage regulator but a 73 probably doesn't. Just tryin to help.
Yeah it was something with the MSD, took that back out and reconnected the HEI, problem solved.
Found out he did actually have the problem before the column swap. So looked elsewhere. The wiring for the MSD box was a mess.
Thanks for the help.