Ninety-eight LS 1968 fusebox

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2017, 03:09 PM

Ninety-eight LS 1968 fusebox

Hello all!

Few months ago i bought 1968 Olds Ninety-eight Luxury Sedan 4D. It's a project car, it runs, moves and also stop

Now the biggest situation is fuse box. There have been somekind of leak above of it and it's so rusted now. I tried to move/remove few fuse's, but the "legs"of fuses broke...

Does anybody know, is it possible to do somekind of restoration for the "legs", can i buy new fuse box or does someone have old one to sell?

Thanks, Antti
Old February 3rd, 2017, 06:28 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I believe it was Joe Padovano who posted a link to a company that can sell fusebox parts, about a year ago.

They can be found, and there is at least one company that rebuilds fuseboxes as well (I think it's the same company).

I just tried searching, but I can't find the thread.

Let's see whether Joe (or whoever else it may have been) responds...

- Eric
Old February 3rd, 2017, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Here you go:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-fuse-box.html
Old February 4th, 2017, 05:21 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yup, that was it, Eric - Del Mar Wire.

Thanks!

- Eric
Old February 4th, 2017, 06:38 AM

Okay, so i can just to change those fuse terminals? I didn't take that fuse box out yet, i will do it next week after i move the car to next carage.

I haven't restore so old fuse boxes before, cool if it's so simple.

There is also somekind of problem in the fuel level gauge, the needle is moved to 4 o'clock, so its not between full and empty anymore :/
Old February 4th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Administrator

That usually indicates and open circuit or bad fuel sender. Disconnect the battery and take the 2 screws out that mount the fuse box and look on the back to see which terminal clips you have.
Old March 1st, 2017, 01:44 PM

Okay, some updates. I bought some fuse terminal's from Del Mar Wire and i change them today.

There is few coupling's what i don't know.

Few picture's:

- First one, here is coupling with pink wire attached to fusebox same place where it was before.

- Second, i found samekind of coupling with black and brown wire's. Should i attach this also to fusebox? The wire's were crossed quite a lot, i found this above from fusebox, but i took wire's a bit different route, now it could reach to fusebox.

Batteries of fluke is done, so i didn't have tool's to check ground's etc... Need to get new one's tomorrow.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 05:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Do you have a 1968 Chassis Service Manual and a 1968 Fisher Body Manual?

If not, you need them.

They will tell you all about the wiring, but the wiring for the accessories may be a bit harder to figure out, because most of them are only shown in the FBM, and the diagrams are just black lines with no color.

In essence:
In the 1960s, GM used a "plug and play" system for connecting accessories:
Each accessory was connected to the fuse block with a "pass through" plug, which allowed another accessory to "piggyback" onto it, as there was no defined pattern to what accessories could be ordered or installed.

There are at three types of plugs, with ridges in different locations, which can therefore only be plugged into either the BAT, IGN, or ACC taps, which ensures that each accessory operates when it should, and does not operate when it shouldn't.

Your job is to figure out which accessories your car has, which wires feed them, and how to plug them all together properly.

- Eric