Dim Gen light on converted alternator, try a new gasket

Old November 23rd, 2016, 10:40 AM

Dim Gen light on converted alternator, try a new gasket

Just a simple fix that eluded me for a few hours. After converting my externally regulated alternator to internal hi output. I noticed the dim "Gen" light problem a lot of us have experienced.

It turned out to be a disintegrated gasket in the tell-tale assembly (idiot lights) that was allowing light from the cluster bulb into the "gen" light section.

I made a new gasket out of 1/16" closed cell foam and the problem went away.

Anyway if you have the gen light problem, try diagnosing it by removing the nearest cluster bulb. Hope this saves some one a few hours.

The gasket problem may also apply to your speedometer in the form of light bleedover among the warnings.
Old September 18th, 2023, 11:53 AM

Updating an old thread with a diagram just to help.

If you're here, be very careful removing the electrical connectors from the back of your clusters. The electrical pins on the circuit boards break off pretty easily and the fixes are tedious.

Once you get them off the car, you'll see the bezels are crimped to the case. Bend the crimps with a small screwdriver and you can clean & service the gauges.

The part I refer above are the gaskets 9.744. Originally there were made fo open cell foam on paper which deteriorates over 50 years or so.

I use the housing as a shape template then cut bulb holes to block light from bleeding over from one light to another.

Here's what I call the gauge sandwiches.

1966 Fuel Gauge and Speedo assembly.