Engine Harness Question: Idle stop solenoid

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2016, 10:25 AM

Engine Harness Question: Idle stop solenoid

Sorry, this is a long one. I bolded the main question if your in a hurry.

Preface: I am working on a 68 442, TH 400, with Rally Pack Gauges, Power Brakes and Steering, and A/C. I am replacing a couple of my under hood wiring harnesses, and I wanted to verify something since, as we all know, Olds parts don’t get the attention that other makes do. Also, as 442’s go, many parts retailers do not have an accurate list of parts that exchange between 68 and 69 model years.

So I bring you a question about the Idle Stop Solenoid:

For the Engine/Starter Harness, American Auto Wire lists several options for cutlass models with V-8s & rally pack gauges:
ENGINE HARNESS, V8, all with rally pack gauges and transistor CD ignition
ENGINE HARNESS, V8, without carb. idle stop solenoid
ENGINE HARNESS, V8, all with rally pack gauges and carburetor idle stop solenoid
ENGINE HARNESS, V8, all with carb. idle stop solenoid

This would seem to indicate that any car with gauges had the solenoid.

Lectric Limited Lists two:
ENGINE HARNESS, V8, with Rally Pack gauges
ENGINE HARNESS, V8, with Rally Pack gauges & transistor C.D. ignition

This would not…

So which harness do I need?

I assume the transistor ignition is probably an improved ignition system from stock parts, but the idle stop solenoid… I cant even find reference to it in the index of my ’68 CSM, nor can I find it on the wiring diagram… So, did the ‘68 year even have one?

I’ve read on the forum that it was an anti-dieseling provision. The only time I’ve had trouble with dieseling was when I was a few quarts down on ATF, I theorize that in this instance, the torque converter wasn’t putting as much drag on the motor. Might the idle stop solenoid only have come on Manual Trans Cars?

I know some cars came with dashpots. A/c cars I think?

On the theoretical side: The idle stop solenoid would be energized when the key was on or the engine was running, right? So… hypothetically I could use it to run the electric choke on this holley carb I want to eventually get rid of… but would there even be a provision for it in my dash harness if it doesn’t belong in this year car?
Old November 15th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

The idle stop solenoid is shown in the carburetion sections of the CSM. The 1968 CSM only shows the solenoid being used for the six cylinder and 2bbl V8. There's no solenoid shown on the Qjet applications.

I also don't understand why the engine harness is different for Rally Pac or not. The factory tach wire is a separate wire not integrated into the engine harness.
Old November 15th, 2016, 06:23 PM

Thanks Joe!

I have read that later cars came with the idle stop solenoid on the q-jet, which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the correctness of a potential wiring harness for the '68

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I also don't understand why the engine harness is different for Rally Pac or not. The factory tach wire is a separate wire not integrated into the engine harness.
I've read this before on another thread. Beats me, I've only ever owned one of these. The tach wire was incorporated in both my original and replacement dash harnesses. Also, the "Rally Pack Wiring Diagram" on page 15-31, shows the tach wire as a brown wire tied in with the "Engine & Dash Connector."

Did a tad more research, and it doesn't look like I have the transistor ignition either.
Old November 16th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rothlane'68
Did a tad more research, and it doesn't look like I have the transistor ignition either.
You'd know it if you did. You'd have this hardware under the hood.

Old November 16th, 2016, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You'd know it if you did. You'd have this hardware under the hood.

I wish! I'd have a lot more questions for you too!

Thanks Joe, I think I'll go with Lectric, the language in their catalog implies a better understanding of an olds harness. But there will be a call to customer service either way!
Old March 29th, 2017, 07:06 PM

Resurrecting this thread because I've ran into the same issue sort of with my '69 442. I bought the wiring harness off Fusick, p/n 6299313, which happens to p/n 11590 made by American Autowire. Should have searched this thread first and I would have ordered directly from them and saved a few bucks. Problem I have is that I don't have a stop idle solenoid, but do have rallye pack gauges. However, since it's just a 12v source with the ignition on, I don't think it will really do anything without hooking anything up to it. Just going to cap it off somehow.

Thoughts? I really don't like having a +12V wire dangling around on top of the manifold..
Old March 29th, 2017, 08:34 PM

cover the end of the wire with a piece of shrink wrap, and should you ever need it, it will be easy to cut the shrink wrap off, and the wire will still be good.
Old March 30th, 2017, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Junkman
cover the end of the wire with a piece of shrink wrap, and should you ever need it, it will be easy to cut the shrink wrap off, and the wire will still be good.
Great idea, thank you!
Old April 1st, 2017, 10:33 AM

The harness I received from Lectric did include the idle stop solenoid wire with a rubber boot on the end.

While the quality of all the harnesses I have used (both from lectric limited and american auto wire) was impeccable, I think this is one place the harness companies have it wrong. There is no idle stop solenoid wire in the 442 wiring diagram, but it does exist in the diagram for some of the other cars in the CSM, which I noticed after the fact. Maybe someone with a harness in their car that they were certain was original could settle this once and for all.

I ended up using mine to power the electric choke on my holley carb and taped it up. Not the best looking thing but it works.