Difference between 68/69 and 70-72 Wiper mouting

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2016, 12:34 PM

Difference between 68/69 and 70-72 Wiper mouting

I was wondering what the difference is between the 68/69 recessed park wiper motor mounting and 70-72? I have a Detroit Speed wiper kit for a 69 A Body that was pretty much gifted to me, but the mounting holes for the adapter plate are not even close to lining up. I do know when you look for a factory style replacement motor it says 68-72 they fit 68-72. Is there something that would be different that I'm missing? any insight would be appreciated.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4559.JPG (65.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by csouth; October 19th, 2016 at 12:37 PM.
Old October 20th, 2016, 01:29 AM

My 69 had a plate the the wiper motor bolted to, then the plate bolted to the car body. I would guess maybe you could swap plates to whatever is compatible with the kit and car?

I made my own delay wiper system. I made my own plate, used a delay wiper motor from a mid 90s Buick Century, and used parts and pieces from several different steering columns to add tilt, the delay wiper controls, the headlight dimmer switch is now on the column (along with "Flash-to-pass)I bought a aftermarket cruise control system and used the factory cruise lever to control it. My car has a Gear Vendor overdrive, the factory floor dimmer controls the manual controls of the Gear Vendor, and I carefully cut the dash area where the factory wiper switch was and grafted the Gear Vendor switch panel.
Old October 20th, 2016, 08:49 AM

I was able to see a 69 yesterday evening at a local show so I know the plate you're referring to. I saw that it mounts on the engine side of the firewall. Looking at that I would think if I had the 68/69 car that it would be removed to allow me to mount the DSE wiper. What I'll need to do is make a template and have a plate made to match the mounting points on my 72 firewall.

Last edited by csouth; October 20th, 2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old October 21st, 2016, 07:29 AM

I have the DSE kit on my '72 with a repop firewall (which matched the original firewall). I can make a pattern of the mounting plate so you could make a plate and just swap that on the motor. This is the "original" DSE kit, not the current one that uses a very different motor. Looks like you have the original one as well.
The next problem is the trigger plate. If that doesn't line up with the '72 firewall mount points then adapting the other way may be better.
Old October 21st, 2016, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I have a trigger plate on the way from DSE. I'm going to make a template today for the firewall plate. A buddy of mine can get it cut for me once I have it all together. As long as I have the correct trigger plate everything else should work out. I think.... Lol
Old October 21st, 2016, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by csouth
I was wondering what the difference is between the 68/69 recessed park wiper motor mounting and 70-72?
68/69 the motor mounts to a plate and the plate mounts to the firewall. starting in 70, there was no plate. the motor mounts directly to the firewall.
Old October 21st, 2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by junior supercar
68/69 the motor mounts to a plate and the plate mounts to the firewall. starting in 70, there was no plate. the motor mounts directly to the firewall.
Yep, that was mentioned earlier.... Thanks
Old October 21st, 2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by oddball
I have the DSE kit on my '72 with a repop firewall (which matched the original firewall). I can make a pattern of the mounting plate so you could make a plate and just swap that on the motor. This is the "original" DSE kit, not the current one that uses a very different motor. Looks like you have the original one as well.
The next problem is the trigger plate. If that doesn't line up with the '72 firewall mount points then adapting the other way may be better.
Is yours installed and working now or in setup phase? A template from an original piece is not a bad idea.
If the current one had the recessed park kits available i would have considered selling this, but it was almost free....
Old October 24th, 2016, 06:57 AM

Installed and working. I need to adjust the wiper arms (they got out of whack while cleaning/lubing the joints). I R&R;d the thing at least 6 times.

One key: only test it *with the arms attached and on the windshield*. The rotor needs the drag to do the park correctly. Any wrong move can damage the park lever and its spring on the rotor. I ruined three of 'em by horsing around with it. There's also a process for putting it in the right alignment for install if it's been used or turned on.
Old October 24th, 2016, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by oddball
Installed and working. I need to adjust the wiper arms (they got out of whack while cleaning/lubing the joints). I R&R;d the thing at least 6 times.

One key: only test it *with the arms attached and on the windshield*. The rotor needs the drag to do the park correctly. Any wrong move can damage the park lever and its spring on the rotor. I ruined three of 'em by horsing around with it. There's also a process for putting it in the right alignment for install if it's been used or turned on.
I got my 70-72 trigger plate today so I should be good to go now. I did notice that there was not hole in the adapter plate on the 68/69 setup to help hold the trigger arm in place while tightening like the instructions state.
What did you do for your switch at the dash?

Last edited by csouth; October 24th, 2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old October 25th, 2016, 06:31 AM

I used the DSE switch. Modified the stock '72 escutcheon with a hole in the middle of the slot for the switch's shaft and modified the stock switch mounting plate to hold the DSE switch. I added a convertible top switch and wired 'down' to run a washer pump and trigger wash mode on the motor.