Anybody know where I can get a somple AM/FM/ stereo?

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2016, 08:04 AM

Anybody know where I can get a somple AM/FM/ stereo?

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good quality AM/FM stereo without all the MANY bells & whistles (bluetooth/remote control/pandora/iHeart/etc. etc. etc.)? All I really want is a good receiver that maybe has a few presets & an aux. input that is EASY to control with as few buttons/***** as possible.
I want to put it in my 8-track console in my 70-442. The original stereo is in it's original location, but just for looks - stopped working years ago. I had an old pioneer in the 80's that was decent sound & 2 *****; one for volume/of & on/bass/treble, & a second **** for channel selection, but can't seem to find one now that doesn't take an engineering degree to use! And, a tongue in cheek pet peeve of mine - WHY would I need a remote control for my car stereo??!?
Old July 4th, 2016, 11:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

I assume you are not looking for one of the expensive retro-sound radios.

As you have found out, there are very few twin-shaft stereos still on the market. Old ones are always available at swap meets - I got a Dual with aux input for $10. Pyle still sells a new one with aux input, SD card, and USB.

Old July 4th, 2016, 12:24 PM

I guess the remote control is for when you're out on a blanket with the babe and you want to change the station without getting up?
Old July 4th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Majored in rear tire demo

Originally Posted by Koda
I guess the remote control is for when you're out on a blanket with the babe and you want to change the station without getting up?
And you hear the station change unexpectedly, look up and see your wife holding the remote. And a gun.
Old July 4th, 2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by safray
And, a tongue in cheek pet peeve of mine - WHY would I need a remote control for my car stereo??!?
Comes in real handy if the remote-controlled stereo is mounted someplace out of reach. Like in the glove box of a cherry 1970 442 that has the original stereo in the dash but the owner wants another one that works.
Old July 5th, 2016, 01:32 PM

Ya'll making me laugh. I found a WalMart special $20 FM & MP3 only. I bought it & installed it yesterday, thinking for that price it's almost disposable if it turns out terrible. Actually sounds very adequate. Now if I can only figure out how to use the remote!