Drivers side window glass removal '55 88

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2015, 08:07 AM

Drivers side window glass removal '55 88

hello everyone

Looking for some help here. I have to replace the drivers side window glass in my 1955 88 4dr Sedan (huge crack in it). I have a replacement glass sitting in a new channel ready to go in. Can someone tell me how to get the old glass out and the new one in? Does the vent window have to come out in order to get the glass in?
I've never dealt with window glass removal/installation before and I can't seem to find much info on the process for this particular car. The manual doesn't really address glass removal and I've searched the threads on this site but didn't really come up with anything on point. Wasn't easy finding the new glass so I'd rather not guess at the process and potentially end up with another broken window.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Dan
Old September 27th, 2021, 09:00 AM

Did you ever figure it out? I am about to try to tackle this same issue.
Old September 28th, 2021, 07:24 PM

There is a small amount on the front door window glass on page 16-7 of the 1955 Oldsmobile Shop Manual, but it seems to be more for "adjustment" than "replacement".
Old September 29th, 2021, 07:04 AM

Relying on my memory for this so feel anyone should free to correct me if I miss something:
  • Remove interior door panel.
  • Remove all screws that secure the vent window frame assembly on the top and remove the nut on the door panel that holds the lower part of the vent assembly in place.
  • Once its unsecured, either pull the vent frame assembly out of the door entirely or just shift it so that the long channel part comes free from the drivers glass.
  • Remove the access panels in the door so you can see the regulator.
  • Crank the drivers glass down until you can see the brackets that attach the metal channel on the bottom of the glass to the top of the window regulator...if I recall correctly there are two such brackets and they each have two screws in them.
  • Have someone hold the glass from the top or otherwise secure the glass while you remove the bracket screws.
  • Lift glass out of the door.
  • Install is more or less the reverse of removal.
Old March 27th, 2023, 01:43 PM
Jen R - '55 Super 88

Originally Posted by Fenian16
Relying on my memory for this so feel anyone should free to correct me if I miss something:
  • Remove interior door panel.
  • Remove all screws that secure the vent window frame assembly on the top and remove the nut on the door panel that holds the lower part of the vent assembly in place.
  • Once its unsecured, either pull the vent frame assembly out of the door entirely or just shift it so that the long channel part comes free from the drivers glass.
  • Remove the access panels in the door so you can see the regulator.
  • Crank the drivers glass down until you can see the brackets that attach the metal channel on the bottom of the glass to the top of the window regulator...if I recall correctly there are two such brackets and they each have two screws in them.
  • Have someone hold the glass from the top or otherwise secure the glass while you remove the bracket screws.
  • Lift glass out of the door.
  • Install is more or less the reverse of removal.
THANK YOU!!! I am tackling this as soon as my glass arrives.