Project thread on my '79 Holiday 88

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

Project thread on my '79 Holiday 88

So, if you noticed the thread stating I totaled my 1977 Oldsmobile Delta 88, this is the project thread for my '79 Holiday 88. This is more a project of necessity at the moment, but I'll probably wind up keeping this car as it has a rebuilt engine.

Anyway, need to get too it, gotta change the column lock, get the steering wheel attached, figure out if my horn, signals, and various other lights work today. Don't have a lot of time before work. I'll come back with some pictures this afternoon or evening.

Got some stuff to do this weekend. Swap the brakes, rest of the wheels, few other odds and ends. Gonna change the the trunk lid until I have time to fix the one on the '79, someone hammered out it's lock. I will keep y'all posted.
Old August 8th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Got one side of the drum brakes swapped today, holy hell did I forget how tedious those things are... Once the damn hamster in my head got off his *** and spun the wheel a few times I figured out how it wet together.

Also changed the steering wheel, got a new ignition switch, and swapped the tires, well, one of them.

I replaced the throttle cable too 'cause it was stretched so bad you literally couldn't get the car over a quarter throttle floored, I used the one off the '77.

Had to get a new wheel cylinder, today has cost me way too much.

Still need to replace one of the front turn signal bulbs, corner light, forgot which side, it isn't working. Also need to finish the brakes.

Budget to get the car on the road is down to uh, $197, tight right now, this really hit me in at a bad time. It's gonna be about $55 to title and swap my tags, $75 in tax 'cause it's like 4.179% of sale value or $75, or whichever is greater. $16 to get the car inspected. Leaves me with $51, $25 or so in gas will get me by til Thursday, no fuel gauge so this is going to suck. Should have enough for groceries, or more parts if need be. Please no more parts, I need to eat.

Pictures:

Will get better pics of the Holley install tomorrow, I had to turn the fuel rail around backwards like it was when I got it, Ford style, clears the distributor advance 'cause it faces the opposite way a Chevy does, and it would not clear the AC compressor brace... So now I have gas running behind the distributor, tens of thousands of volts, fuel in a rubber hose, what can POSSIBLY go wrong?

Oh, is there anything more hideous than a tan steering wheel in a red car? Yep, a green one, it'd be Christmas year round, I'd go insane. The same... Music... Every... Year.. MAKE IT STOP!

The interior in this car is groady as HELL, my GOD it's nasty. My interior was trashed but at least it was clean!

Yeah, I know, I'm lazy, sue me, I only got two pictures. I was tired, AM tired. Slept like 4 hours, got up at about 5AM, started working on it before the sun was really up around 6:30, took a 2hr break, but I worked on it about 11 hours today, about 1 hour spent fetching parts.

More tomorrow, can get the disk brakes knocked out fast, those are easy... If I can find the socket thing that fits the bolts that hold 'em on...

So yeah, I'll get a video of how the car runs tomorrow when the choke is hooked up (It's electric), brakes are done, and a few other odds and ends are settled. The horn is hilarious on this car, it reminds me of those old Cadillac two tone horns.

And on a final note, I really need to get the transmission fluid out of my catch pan... I dropped every spring in that damn thing at least once.. Had to stop and clean 'em... Boy are they CLEAN too! Hey, did yo know that brake dust floats on transmission fluid? No? Neither did I! SCIENCE!

Might even get a new signature made sometime this week, I'll have to visit that hill in the junkyard in honor of Ole' Goldy.. Damn I'm gonna miss that car!

Last edited by Dead Reckon; August 8th, 2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old August 15th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

So here's a video on what I've gotten done with the '79 Holiday in the past week... Just swapped the exhaust, video coming for that sometime this week too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec85u9s1LCs
Old August 23rd, 2015, 01:12 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Found some rust in the floor, probably going to ditch this car, I don't deal with bodywork, especially not like this.

Old August 29th, 2015, 03:24 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Got the new exhaust system put on, ordered a thrush muffler, got a cherry bomb, same part number, all made by Walker, so it's all the same really.

New exhaust on the '79 Delta - YouTube

Video has some updates about the car. Might keep this car, might not, not sure yet. But I do know not having exhaust sucked.

Last edited by Dead Reckon; August 29th, 2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old September 24th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Another video update! BROKEN BRAKES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6UPu-Rgx9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh6gqCb9BU8

So, in short, I fixed the front brakes (I think?) but the master cylinder started leaking. Hey, not to fear, I have one on the car I wrecked... Guy who's buying it knew it had no brakes, guess it really will have absolutely no brakes now.
Old November 4th, 2015, 02:06 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Been a while since I've done an update, after a brake booster, new calipers, hoses, and pads, everything is fine with the brakes.

Anyway, I installed a Sunpro Styleline oil pressure gauge in my car today, Summit Racing had 'em on sale for $3, got a volt gauge too I'll put in later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2FmNidp4Eg
Old November 8th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

Got my new plates today

1108150902c.jpg
Old November 8th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Maintained

Nice 88

sold my Holiday 88 in 2007.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2015-10-26 14.38.58.jpg (591.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg
1979 Delta 88.jpg (1.47 MB, 12 views)
Old November 9th, 2015, 08:17 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

Thanks, this one needs a lot of work, but it's worth it. Looks like yours had the same color interior mine has, silver on red isn't a color scheme I'd pick, but I've grown to like it quite a lot actually, it contrasts well.

Why'd you sell your Delta?

Last edited by Dead Reckon; November 9th, 2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old December 11th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

So I thought I'd give a little insight into a few things going on with the car, nothing major, just been sorting out a few minor issues, also I've been cleaning the engine bay.

Soo, the engine bay, this is what it looked like when I got the car with a stock style q-jet, and lots of dirt and dust:

IMG_0106.jpg

And after I installed the Holley to get it on the road:

IMG_0329.jpg

And as of a couple days ago:

1210151613d.jpg

It's not show car worthy, but it's also not cringe worthy. It doesn't help that my hood keeps sprinkling rust from somewhere inside making a mess.