Finding modern paint codes for my 56

Old May 21st, 2015, 02:38 PM

Finding modern paint codes for my 56

Hey guys, I am in the UK which is making this harder. 1st off, my car is not driveable yet so I can't just take it to the local paint suppliers and have it scanned and they don't come out to you either. 2nd I don't want to remove a door to take down there, the glass is cracked and I don't want to open up another tin of worms by removing the door and having to re-align it, there are enough jobs to do as it is.

My cars paint tag is 30 and 32, ice green and tropical green. I basically want to get some paint mixed up so I can repaint all 5 wheels to fit the new tires and have some paint to touch up various areas on the car. Getting the paint mixed up is not a problem, getting a usable code is, a good friend of mine owns a car body repair shop, I've given him the PPG and DuPont paint codes but the paint suppliers he uses said the codes are no good.

Has any body had either of these colours mixed up in the USA before and got the modern day translation of the code? or has any body used a paint colour from a modern car which happens to look 95% close to the original colours. I've looked through all the GM paint chips that my friend has in his paint shop, tropical green has a few close matches from modern colours but nothing for ice green. Ice green is the one I am mainly after so I can get the wheels repainted.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris.
Old May 21st, 2015, 04:48 PM

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...et+Paint+Codes

Try this
Old May 22nd, 2015, 12:41 AM

That's were I got the codes from that I already have. They don't mean anything to the UK paint suppliers
Old May 22nd, 2015, 05:11 AM

The Ditzler PPG and Dupont numbers are given. I'm surprised they can't cross reference those numbers to whatever brand is popular in the UK?
Old May 22nd, 2015, 05:44 AM

That's what I've given several paint suppliers and none of them can come up with anything. It's frustrating to say the least
Old May 22nd, 2015, 05:59 AM

Hi Chris, I lived in England for a year, and loved it.
Maybe your paint supplier will let you take their paint chip samples to the car.
I can usually get a 95% match using Dupont fleet colors. Nothing will be a perfect match anyway after 60 years.
Or you can usually find the original Olds paint chip book pages online for about $10 per page.
Then you can take the original paint chip page to the paint dealer, and find a close match that way.
Best of luck with it.

Cheers, Jerry
Old May 22nd, 2015, 06:18 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Color chip charts are on eBay all the time. Buy one and take it to your paint store.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

I don't know anything about paint suppliers in the UK, but here in the US, all paint suppliers can easily cross reference old lacquer paint codes to get modern BC/CC formulas. I don't know what it takes to get paint shipped to the UK, but tcpglobal says that they ship paint to Europe. Simply go on their website, navigate to your model year, pick the color, and order the paint in any format you want (single stage, BC/CC, etc).
Old May 22nd, 2015, 03:21 PM

Cheers for the help guys, during my searching on google I found several places in the USA that sell the paint online, problem is you can't ship paint from the US by air. I have a shipping company I use to ship stuff by boat from the US but the next container doesn't leave till end of June and then takes 4 weeks roughly from then to get here, id like the paint to be done before then.

Honestly I've tried loads of paint suppliers and had no luck, I went through all this with the mustang, it's grief trying to get American paint codes to work over here, others on the uk mustang forums have tried and had no luck either.

I did what others said, done a search on ebay and just bought this:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=130263042716

Spoke to my paint supplier and they said they can scan the paint chip but it won't be a 100% match, but they can do me 5 or 6 different test spray outs varying around that colour, then take them back to my shop and see which is closest and go from there. Should be able to get something 95% close this way which I will be happy with.

Just got to wait for the chip sheet to arrive from the US. I shall post my findings once I've got something.

Thanks for all the help
Old May 23rd, 2015, 07:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Chris289
I have a shipping company I use to ship stuff by boat from the US but the next container doesn't leave till end of June and then takes 4 weeks roughly from then to get here, id like the paint to be done before then.
Why is this your shipping problem? TCPGlobal says that they ship to Europe. Have you contacted them to see how quickly they can get the paint to you using their established shipping methods?

More to the point, the cross reference formulas exist, as evidenced by the fact that many companies sell older paint colors in modern formats. Have you contacted PPG or DuPont reps directly? This is simply a matter of getting the correct formula to your paint supplier. The whole scanning and trial-and-error color matching seems like an incredible waste of time and money as this has already been done.
Old May 23rd, 2015, 09:11 AM
Rocketeer

Originally Posted by twintracks
Maybe your paint supplier will let you take their paint chip samples to the car.
I ran into a similar color matching problem when I needed to get custom disc-type wheels powdercoated to match my 57 Chevy. I used a solution like Jerry suggested.

The car had been repainted by a previous owner with a current production version of Tropical Turquoise, and I had no access to the paint formulation. I wanted my new wheels to match as closely as possible. Given that I wasn't using true original paint, the original paint chip cards weren't going to help much. And I wanted to have the wheels powdercoated rather than painted, so powdercoat paint chip samples were my only option. I looked at the powdercoat colors on the web, and had the powder coater mail me 4x4" samples of the 3 closest matches. One of them was quite good -- even though it wasn't intended to be a 57 Chevy color it worked out fine.