54 interior light question

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2014, 04:06 PM

54 interior light question

Got the car road worthy now, so I'm moving on to cosmetics, and I've noticed something strange with the interior lights... The previous owner (my father in law, now deceased) had both door pins held down, so it thought the doors were always closed. When I remove the blocks so the door pins work correctly, here's what happens...

Open drivers door, overhead light and drivers footwell light comes on.
Close drivers door, all interior lights off
normal so far, except no passenger footwell light

Open passenger door, nothing comes on
Close passenger door, nothing comes on or goes off

Flip switch under dash marked "courtesy light", passenger footwell light comes on.

So basically, the drivers door controls the overhead and drivers footwell light, the switch under the dash controls the passenger footwell light, and the passenger door controls nothing.

That's not right - is it?
Old December 18th, 2014, 04:49 PM

Sounds like you may have a faulty Light Switch In the passenger side ,Might try removing the passenger side switch and cleaning it with electric contact cleaner.When you take that switch out ,check with 12v test light and see if you are getting fire to the switch. Larry

Last edited by Rocketowner; December 18th, 2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Administrator

No fire at that switch, it's looking for a ground.
Old December 18th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Since mine doesn't have an overhead light, I can't speak for that. However, when I open the drivers door, only the footwell light on the drivers side comes on. When I open the passenger door, only the passenger side comes on. I still have the bezel for the courtesy light in the center of the dash but the switch is gone. I guess that is okay since I would have to move it to mount my AC unit under the dash. I thought it was weird the way the lights worked but I guess that is the way they are supposed to work. Fusick has the switches but they are pricey. I had to buy one.
Old December 18th, 2014, 07:12 PM

On my 55 when any door is opened all courtesy lights come on. I do have a switch on the passenger left hand side arm rest that will turn off the rear courtesy lights but I never mess with it or ever figured out why one would want to do that.....Tedd
Old December 19th, 2014, 04:28 AM

My car has the footwell light delete plates, but has 2 overhead lights and they both come on when either Door is opened.I Loosened one screw on one of the door switches and saw a small spark and both lights went out .As I tightened that screw back it grounded(also got the small spark again ,and the lights came back on. Larry