it was horrible... 65 88

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2014, 11:01 PM

it was horrible... 65 88

so i have a pretty big problem as you can see from the title. i was cruising around the other day with a friend and pulled into a gas station to fill up a bit. i turned the car off and went to fill up with about 20 bucks worth of gas. got back in when all was done and went to start the car and nothing happened no cranking nothing not a sound. kept trying for a pretty long time and couldn't get it going. i started to panic after both me and my friend tried everything we could think of and nothing came of it. i asked a guy on the next pump over if he could help in anyway and he looked at it and tried everything he could but nothing agian so he called his uncle that's a mechanic and he tried everything he could still nothing. at this point we have been stranded here for a few hours. (on the bright side we got a bunch of thumbs up for the car as i do every time i go out with it.) but my heart dropped thinking i couldn't do anything and it was the end of my beloved car. i gave up at this point and asked if he knew any one who could pull me to my house so he said he could. we got the car all chained up and started to go. i let my friend steer since i was really really down at this point. letting him steer was bad idea. i guess it slipped his mind that manual steering is a thing when a car is off... the chain got ripped out from under us... it was a very bad day.. pretty much destroyed at this point i took the wheel as the guy was reconnecting the chain and out of pure prayer and desperation turned the key and it started! so much weight was lifted from my shoulders. I thanked the guy for all he did and i rushed home as quick as i could. its been parked unable to start with the same problem for few days now iv looked at everything searched non stop and i cant find any solution nothing seems to be wrong with it. it drove perfectly fine one the way back home so im sorta begging you guys for any sort of solution you guys could give me.
Old September 13th, 2014, 11:18 PM

well usually when the car wont crank at all i check the battery to see if its low and if it is than its either dying by itself or not being charged by the alternator. if battery definately good than it could be the starter solonoid or wiring to it. it could also be in your actual ignition cylinder where you stick the key in.

when you turn the key, do the gen/oil lights come on as they should? if not than either the wire from the ignition cylinder is shorting or the cylinder might just be on its way out.

if they light up but you just dont get it to crank, than you could have a bad solonoid on the starter or a short in the wiring somewhere which could be difficult to spot by eye youd have to test each one for continuity with a multimeter (theres not many). that would be my checklist, hope its helpful.

Last edited by 63super88; September 13th, 2014 at 11:20 PM.
Old September 13th, 2014, 11:33 PM

i just got a new battery a month ago and also made sure the alternator was good when i did that. we made sure the battery was giving power well we where stuck there we even cleaned the terminals. i also replaced the ignition lock cylinder when i first got the car since i didn't have keys i made sure everything was correct when i did that. yes the lights come on. the mechanic also said that it might just be that the starter is just bad he looked at it for a good bit and said it might just be that. i don't know much about starters and everything that goes along with it so i guess i should look into getting a new one. any suggestions since im a teenager and sorta low on funds
Old September 13th, 2014, 11:54 PM

i always like to make sure the wiring is definately not the problem. then my next suggestion is that if its original starter get it rebuilt at a reputable local shop and get the armature and solonoid replaced(prob under or around 100) i stead of a cheap replacement cause the original gm starters were bulletproff and its nice to have the original. when i did mine just to do it I had the shop guy leave the original solonoid on since it worked fine, only costed me 45 and it felt good still having the original part.
Old September 14th, 2014, 12:03 AM

It's an old car - unless you are intimately familiar with it - odd electrical and/or fuel problems will drive you crazy.

I know you had a bad day, but leave the "it was horrible!" for the burned to the ground and/or crushed by a semi stories.
Old September 14th, 2014, 04:20 AM

Have you replaced the battery cables? If not, replace both of them with the thickest gauge cables you can find (the lower the gauge number the thicker the cable). I had the exact issue you described years ago with my 68 Cutlass and it turned out to be a bad negative battery cable.
Old September 14th, 2014, 05:54 AM

If it is still in the no start mode you might try getting a hammer, scooting part way under the car and banging on the starter. If the brushes are worn they will sometimes stick away from the armature and it will not crank. A few smacks with the hammer can jar them loose and it will crank. If this works then the starter needs a rebuild or replace. If it doesn't work then you lost nothing but a few minutes of time.

Good luck,
Old September 14th, 2014, 06:17 AM

My guess would be a bad ground something similar happened with a 91 Mr2 I had ended up being a ground wire
Old September 14th, 2014, 07:37 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by IAmNemo147
... i have a pretty big problem as you can see from the title.
Actually, we can't. Your title is completely nondescriptive. All that it tells us it that you have a flair for drama.

... went to start the car and nothing happened no cranking nothing not a sound.
So, two things did not happen: The starter did not turn the engine over, and you heard no sounds, such as the starter solenoid clicking.

What things DID happen? Did the dashboard lights and radio come on when the switch was in the ON position? Did they go off when in the START position? Did the HOT light go on in the START position? Did the headlights shine brightly when you tried them? Did they dim when you turned to the START position?

kept trying for a pretty long time and couldn't get it going.
What made you think that repeating the same movement over and over would lead to a different result?

i started to panic...
Panic? Really? Why? Were you located just around a corner on a narrow road, where a car was likely to hit you? Was the car going on fire? Were dangerous-looking characters approaching you with malicious intent and medieval weaponry?

... me and my friend tried everything we could think of and nothing came of it.
What could you think of? This ranks high on my list of "Most Completely Useless Statements in an Internet Request for Help."

... a guy on the next pump over... tried everything he could ...
And what did HE try?

... he called his uncle that's a mechanic and he tried everything he could still nothing.
And what did HE try?

... my heart dropped thinking i couldn't do anything...
So this was the first time it occurred to you that you had no mechanical or analytic skills whatsoever, and that realization saddened you?

I would consider learning about the basic systems of a car, and how they work, perhaps from some on-line tutorials, so that you feel more confident the next time you experience a malfunction.

... and it was the end of my beloved car.
So the starter motor won't turn, and it's "the end" of your car?
See first part of this response: Flair for Drama.

... the chain got ripped out from under us...
"Ripped out"?!? What part of your undercarriage was damaged?
Or is this more of the above-noted Flair for Drama?

... iv looked at everything searched non stop and i cant find any solution nothing seems to be wrong with it.
WHAT did you look at?
WHERE did you search?

Did you do any simple troubleshooting at all?
Did you check your battery voltage?
Did you check the voltage at the starter end of the heavy Positive cable?
Did you check the resistance of your heavy ground wire to the block?
Did you check for the presence of the ground strap from the block to the body?
Did you check to see whether the starter will turn if you jump the terminals of the purple wire plug that connects to the Neutral Safety Switch?
Did you check to see whether the starter turns when you connect a hot wire to the S terminal of the solenoid?

Get back to us when you can answer all of those questions.
And see if you can turn over the couch cushions and find some more punctuation. If not, I'm sure I've got some that I could spare.

And... Welcome to ClassicOlds!

- Eric
Old September 14th, 2014, 08:04 AM

I nominate MDchaninc for best provider of sensible answers.

I cannot believe that as yet no one has suggested that the Neutral Safety Switch maybe at fault... or the car was simply not in P or N. I frankly expected to hear that the first guy to look at it said "How about you put it in Park, sport?" Who among us has not been caught by that one?

But, to concur with MD- the starting system has really very few components, and troubleshooting even with a light bulb on a stick type voltage sensor is so basic a 10 yr old girl could do it. Learn what color wires you are looking for using the wiring diagram you can obtain at wildaboutcars.com. Find the component [such as the NSS]... by manual or in person or ask on the interwebs. Like here. Find out where the Starter actuating voltage is failing to pass to. Redoing a starter/ solenoid is pretty easy.

Among the many lessons I have learned over the years:
New is not equal to good. New battery might be bad/ dead. Junk is made. it happens.
Trust but verify.
When looking for trouble, look first at the thing most recently "fixed"

Replacing the ignition lock CYLINDER into which the key fits does not refresh the ELECTRICAL part of the switch, backside. I have seen these with poor contact get hot, burn out, and even melt the plastic terminal block. So, inspect and TEST with a light or voltmeter or buzzer or whatever turns your crank [literally, in this case].
Old September 14th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Administrator

As mentioned above, there are not many components in the ignition/start system. I would like suggested above start with cable connections on both sides. Make sure they are clean shiny and tight at the battery, clean and tight at the block and starter. Check for battery voltage at the starter solenoid. As Octania stated the NSS plays a major function in providing a safety interlock so as not to be able to start the car in gear.

Whacking the starter with a hammer with the key in the start position will aid in determining a bad component within the starter.

I agree with Eric, we need more information on symptoms and what was done to trouble shoot, less drama.
Old September 14th, 2014, 09:41 AM

From the title I thought he was going to tell us his car AND the gas station caught fire. Now that would be horrible.
As a young man just learning about cars this is a good place to find help.
Do you have some basic tools to work on a car.? Are you relying on others for mechanical troubleshooting. Give a shout back to let the group know how you made out with some of the tips provided.
Old September 14th, 2014, 11:17 AM

Smile I'm cranky today

Unlike Eric, I feel a bit cranky today so I won't offer much in the way of suggestions until you can answer some of his questions. It will help us help you. To me it sounds like a connection problem, but of course there are a few other possibilities most of which have probably been covered by (all I can think of by 3 wizzards) already. I kind of hope the drama continues cuz I'm getting more chuckles from this thread than the humor thread. Eric, you are funny. A compilation of your to the point posts would keep me giggling for awhile. Keep up the good work.
Old September 14th, 2014, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by starfire
Have you replaced the battery cables? If not, replace both of them with the thickest gauge cables you can find (the lower the gauge number the thicker the cable). I had the exact issue you described years ago with my 68 Cutlass and it turned out to be a bad negative battery cable.
i didn't. i replaced the positive terminal but that was it i left the battery cables and negative terminal. ill go try and pick up some today. thanks
Old September 14th, 2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by 66luvr
If it is still in the no start mode you might try getting a hammer, scooting part way under the car and banging on the starter. If the brushes are worn they will sometimes stick away from the armature and it will not crank. A few smacks with the hammer can jar them loose and it will crank. If this works then the starter needs a rebuild or replace. If it doesn't work then you lost nothing but a few minutes of time.

Good luck,
that was one of the first things i did. as well as the two guys that helped me out
Old September 14th, 2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Actually, we can't. Your title is completely nondescriptive. All that it tells us it that you have a flair for drama.

So, two things did not happen: The starter did not turn the engine over, and you heard no sounds, such as the starter solenoid clicking.

What things DID happen? Did the dashboard lights and radio come on when the switch was in the ON position? Did they go off when in the START position? Did the HOT light go on in the START position? Did the headlights shine brightly when you tried them? Did they dim when you turned to the START position?
yes all of which happened.

What made you think that repeating the same movement over and over would lead to a different result?
desperation and luck

Panic? Really? Why? Were you located just around a corner on a narrow road, where a car was likely to hit you? Was the car going on fire? Were dangerous-looking characters approaching you with malicious intent and medieval weaponry? i wasn't supposed to have the car out.

What could you think of? This ranks high on my list of "Most Completely Useless Statements in an Internet Request for Help."

And what did HE try?

And what did HE try? he checked the battery cables. the terminals. took them off and re conected them aafter we cleaned them and tightened them. he checked the power to pretty much everything to see if the battery was even working. the starter to see if he could do anything on the spot and pretty much all the basic things you do to try and get a car to start.

So this was the first time it occurred to you that you had no mechanical or analytic skills whatsoever, and that realization saddened you? its my first car and i have never been released to cars my whole life iv been learning and gaining knowledge though the internet and friends as i go along with the car sorry if i might have freaked out a bit for my first ever break down.

I would consider learning about the basic systems of a car, and how they work, perhaps from some on-line tutorials, so that you feel more confident the next time you experience a malfunction.

So the starter motor won't turn, and it's "the end" of your car?
See first part of this response: Flair for Drama.

"Ripped out"?!? What part of your undercarriage was damaged?
Or is this more of the above-noted Flair for Drama?

WHAT did you look at?
WHERE did you search?

Did you do any simple troubleshooting at all? yes
Did you check your battery voltage? yes
Did you check to see whether the starter will turn if you jump the terminals of the purple wire plug that connects to the Neutral Safety Switch?
Did you check to see whether the starter turns when you connect a hot wire to the S terminal of the solenoid?
i didn't know to do most this things my self but the mechanic did and he did. i cant tell you exactly everything he did because i didn't understand it all but hes one of the most trusted and long lasting mechanic in my town so im more then positive he did everything he could. especially with the fact that he was willing to be there helping use a few hours.
Get back to us when you can answer all of those questions.
And see if you can turn over the couch cushions and find some more punctuation. If not, I'm sure I've got some that I could spare.

And... Welcome to ClassicOlds!

- Eric
Old September 14th, 2014, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
I nominate MDchaninc for best provider of sensible answers.

I cannot believe that as yet no one has suggested that the Neutral Safety Switch maybe at fault... or the car was simply not in P or N. I frankly expected to hear that the first guy to look at it said "How about you put it in Park, sport?" Who among us has not been caught by that one? it was in park. i also tried putting it in neutral and trying agian before i even asked the guy for help

But, to concur with MD- the starting system has really very few components, and troubleshooting even with a light bulb on a stick type voltage sensor is so basic a 10 yr old girl could do it. Learn what color wires you are looking for using the wiring diagram you can obtain at wildaboutcars.com. Find the component [such as the NSS]... by manual or in person or ask on the interwebs. Like here. Find out where the Starter actuating voltage is failing to pass to. Redoing a starter/ solenoid is pretty easy. thanks ill defentily try that

Among the many lessons I have learned over the years:
New is not equal to good. New battery might be bad/ dead. Junk is made. it happens.
Trust but verify.
When looking for trouble, look first at the thing most recently "fixed" thanks for the advice.

Replacing the ignition lock CYLINDER into which the key fits does not refresh the ELECTRICAL part of the switch, backside. I have seen these with poor contact get hot, burn out, and even melt the plastic terminal block. So, inspect and TEST with a light or voltmeter or buzzer or whatever turns your crank [literally, in this case].
ok i will thank you
Old September 14th, 2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mike77
From the title I thought he was going to tell us his car AND the gas station caught fire. Now that would be horrible.
As a young man just learning about cars this is a good place to find help.
Do you have some basic tools to work on a car.? Are you relying on others for mechanical troubleshooting. Give a shout back to let the group know how you made out with some of the tips provided.
i do my dad was really big into cars and he left alot of tools and equtment in our shed so i have pretty much every basic tool there is and a few other good parts of equipment. i am sorta relying on other for help
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Administrator

What everyone wants to know is what have you checked so far. Have you been experiencing any starting issues prior to this ordeal? Had you done anything to the engine recently prior to your trip to the gas station?
Old September 14th, 2014, 03:45 PM

Could be something as simple as the neutral safety switch stopped working or is out of adjustment.
Old September 14th, 2014, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
What everyone wants to know is what have you checked so far. Have you been experiencing any starting issues prior to this ordeal? Had you done anything to the engine recently prior to your trip to the gas station?
no not any issues at all. i havent really done anything except for fluid changes battery new points coil rotor cap sea foam and filters and new gas lines all of which where done around the time of my last post
Old September 14th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Administrator

What have you checked as far as the starter issue? Are the battery connections all clean and shiny, both the terminals and the posts? Is the black cable running to the block tight? Are the connections at the starter tight? Is the wiring in good condition? Is there battery voltage at the purple wire on the solenoid with the key in the start position?
Old September 14th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So, the dashboard lights and radio came on when the switch was in the ON position,
they gwent off when in the START position,
the HOT light went on in the START position,
the headlights shone brightly when you tried them, and
they dimmed when you turned to the START position.

he checked the battery cables. the terminals.
took them off and re conected them aafter we cleaned them and tightened them.
he checked the power to pretty much everything to see if the battery was even working.
the starter to see if he could do anything on the spot and
pretty much all the basic things you do to try and get a car to start.
Did you do any simple troubleshooting at all?
yes
We would need to know exactly what, or we will have to duplicate it.

Did you check your battery voltage?
yes
We would need to know what voltage was found where.

We would need to have you check each of these.

i didn't know to do most this things my self but the mechanic did and he did.
i cant tell you exactly everything he did because i didn't understand it all but hes one of the most trusted and long lasting mechanic in my town so im more then positive he did everything he could.
Unfortunately, I don't trust any mechanic. To that point, note that there is almost no starter problem that you could encounter with one of these cars that would not be possible for a qualified or experienced person to diagnose in a gas station lot within about fifteen minutes.

i wasn't supposed to have the car out.
my dad was really big into cars and he left alot of tools and equtment in our shed so i have pretty much every basic tool there is and a few other good parts of equipment. i am sorta relying on other for help
How old are you?
I'm sorry about your dad.

We have a history here of helping young people who don't have anyone around that can help them, so if you send us some pictures of the car and the engine compartment, and if you follow our instructions, you should be able to get this fixed easily.
All we ask is that you tell us when you don't understand something, or need more explanation, or don't know how to use a tool, and that you use as much punctuation and capitalization as you can bring yourself to, as it makes it MUCH easier for us to read and understand your posts.

- Eric
Old December 5th, 2014, 12:45 PM

Ever reach any resolution to this? As a young owner of a 65 88 I can tell you I've dealt with almost every electrical problem you can have between the key and the starter. These guys will set you straight....

Worst case scenario if you can't figure it out and the problems are too much to bear, you can sell the car to me I could use more parts for my 65...Just kidding. Welcome man! Give us some pics.

Last edited by StarGeneral; December 5th, 2014 at 12:49 PM.