1955 super 88 build

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2014, 08:04 PM

1955 super 88 build

My dad bought this gem in 1969 from a wealthy widow for $100....this after she spent $1,500 on parts and labor!!!

He removed the engine a few years later and the shop in which was rebuilding it closed down and the engine was long gone......Car sat in garage for a few years with no heart beat.

Enter a '55 Holiday that we stripped of the motor and all the parts we could.
In 1995 my sister got engaged and I moved quick to get the car road worthy so I could drive her on her special day.....

Now I need to pull the 324 because bottom end is ticking....So here is my build thread....I've lowered the car and have taken things off engine to get it ready to remove.

I am going to rely heavily on you expertise and experience...I posted this thread on another site with no responses so I am trying my luck here...

First question. How can I go about separating torus cover from fly wheel? Without bending it.....Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN1489.jpg (62.1 KB, 80 views)
DSCN1491.jpg (42.7 KB, 76 views)
DSCN1490.jpg (49.5 KB, 76 views)
Old August 11th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

First off, welcome to the site. Seems like we are getting more and more folks with 50's cars and I love it. I don't have an answer to you question but I know it has come up before. You might try the search function. If you don't have a shop manual you need to buy one. It will be the best money you will spend. Get one of the originals and not one on CD. Good luck with you car.

Last edited by redoldsman; August 16th, 2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old August 12th, 2014, 05:37 AM

Thanks

Originally Posted by redoldsman
First off, welcome to the site. Seems like we are getting more and more folks with 50's cars and I love it. I don't have and answer to you question but I know it has come up before. You might try the search function. If you don't have a shop manual you need to buy one. It will be the best money you will spend. Get one of the originals and not one on CD. Good luck with you car.

red,

Thanks for the info and I appreciate your input. I look forward to learning about this Olds during the build.....

Last edited by elbole; August 12th, 2014 at 05:38 AM. Reason: misspellings
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:07 PM

I second the need for the shop manual. You can also find a Chilton for it which covers the gaps the shop manual leaves out. I bought my car with the motor and transmission already removed so I don't have any tricks for you.
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:09 PM

elbole, first off I'm sorry I missed this post, I hope you see this reply and hope I can help you pull your motor.

First I would pull the motor and transmission in one piece it's no harder for me to do this and once pulled I can move the car around without having to support the transmission having it hanging under there with nothing to hold up the front of it just about makes your car a statue in its stall, having a transmission jack attached to it is still not very mobile.For me its easier to separate the engine and trans on the floor or bench after pulled.Olds motors and slant pan transmissions are very heavy you will need a good HD engine lift either way you do it. A lightweight engine stand or lift won't do it here.

If you choose to separate the engine and leave the transmission in the car there are about 28 x 5/16 flywheel torus bolts that are accessed under the flywheel cover those will have to be removed with the engine and transmission being supported separately and if I remember correctly only one or two bolts are accessible at a time you will have to turn the flywheel for each bolt either by balancer bolt or by prying the flywheel one tooth at a time. At the front of the car I remove the radiator and supports to allow for a easier lift, the bumper can be left as is. Take good pictures of everything as you remove it especially linkage and bag everything and label it well.The rest is just unbolting and separating stuff like most any other engine...Ask if you get stuck surely there are things I haven't mentioned....Tedd

Ps you will need a motor manual most surely sooner than later.
Old August 14th, 2014, 07:56 PM

Thanks guys

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
elbole, first off I'm sorry I missed this post, I hope you see this reply and hope I can help you pull your motor.

First I would pull the motor and transmission in one piece it's no harder for me to do this and once pulled I can move the car around without having to support the transmission having it hanging under there with nothing to hold up the front of it just about makes your car a statue in its stall, having a transmission jack attached to it is still not very mobile.For me its easier to separate the engine and trans on the floor or bench after pulled.Olds motors and slant pan transmissions are very heavy you will need a good HD engine lift either way you do it. A lightweight engine stand or lift won't do it here.

If you choose to separate the engine and leave the transmission in the car there are about 28 x 5/16 flywheel torus bolts that are accessed under the flywheel cover those will have to be removed with the engine and transmission being supported separately and if I remember correctly only one or two bolts are accessible at a time you will have to turn the flywheel for each bolt either by balancer bolt or by prying the flywheel one tooth at a time. At the front of the car I remove the radiator and supports to allow for a easier lift, the bumper can be left as is. Take good pictures of everything as you remove it especially linkage and bag everything and label it well.The rest is just unbolting and separating stuff like most any other engine...Ask if you get stuck surely there are things I haven't mentioned....Tedd

Ps you will need a motor manual most surely sooner than later.

I really appreciate the info on the shop manual....Years and years ago my dad bought an expensive manual that he thought would cover the car in detail....nope....only some illustrations of particular models.....I am going to look on amabon for one. Tedd thanks for the great info.....I took off the torus bolts already painstakingly, I was under olds so long I almost took a nap down there lol! I'll definitely take your advice of taking pics and bagging stuff....

Why would trans be hanging if the transmission cross member supports the front of trans? My original plan was to just take out 324 and leave the trans in its place.....I don't know I'll do what ever is easiest at this point...
Thanks again fellas...I'll be posting more pics soon....
Old August 14th, 2014, 08:02 PM

Engine Paint color

Another question before I forget. What is the color Olds used for the engine in 1955? Where can I get some from? Plus I want the valve covers painted factory too, green with yellow lettering...."Oldsmobile Rocket"....

When engine was rebuilt in 1996 the guy who did the work painted it green but I doubt its the factory shade of green.
Old August 15th, 2014, 08:59 AM

elbole, my mistake I was thinking in my befuddled mind of dropping the transmission and leaving the engine in place rather the reverse thats what happens when I post past bedtime and after a couple of toddies. Sorry for my error...Tedd

PS. its still better to pull it all together and work on it on the table though.
Old August 15th, 2014, 11:42 AM

Tedd,

I've been going over that option in my mind, pulling motor/trans together. By the way your car is gorgeous. It will probably be a PITA to reinstall just the motor....My engine hoist can handle that weight but my leveler probably wont be able to handle added weight of Hydromatic.....hmmm may need to do some welding to beer 'er up.

Thanks again for your active participation in the thread.....off to the welding table I go...
Old August 15th, 2014, 01:28 PM

Engine color

Fusick or Eastwood has the original factory green. One of them also has the decals for the valve covers, I have my decals and may use them some time if I decide to go to the retro look;I am currently using cast aluminum "Offy.s" on my 56. Good luck with your new baby. By the way did you use lowering blocks on the rear springs or what? How much drop do you have? Thax Chuck
Old August 15th, 2014, 05:46 PM

55 Olds

Originally Posted by rket56
Fusick or Eastwood has the original factory green. One of them also has the decals for the valve covers, I have my decals and may use them some time if I decide to go to the retro look;I am currently using cast aluminum "Offy.s" on my 56. Good luck with your new baby. By the way did you use lowering blocks on the rear springs or what? How much drop do you have? Thax Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for the info. Do the decals go over the lettering? I have the raised letters on my valve covers. I put 3" lowering blocks from Autozone to lower the rear.....at first I thought it was too low but I think it looks good. Ive heard that you lose handling with lowering blocks, ideally I'd like air bags but that's another thing to do much later.....Thanks again...
Attached Images
DSCN1509.jpg (47.5 KB, 37 views)
DSCN1510.jpg (49.1 KB, 30 views)
Old August 15th, 2014, 05:50 PM

Offy

Chuck

By the way my dad had a set of finned valve covers but he sold them to a guy who sold me his chevy truck, my other project. The covers were dull looking and dirty but this dude got em polished up real nice....dayum I wish he never sold those they looked really nice!!!
Old August 15th, 2014, 06:29 PM

Your noise could possibly be something that does not require the complete removal of the engine.The oil pan can be removed without completely removing the engine.What are the conditions of the ticking noise.If it' just when the engine is in a pull,the "324's" were prone to crack the pistons directly downward from the wrist pins,and would only be heard when you were accelerating. Larry
Old August 15th, 2014, 07:10 PM

Here are a couple shots of my valve covers that were hand lettered after green was laid down. I think hand lettering looks better than decals but the originals weren't all that good from the factory....Tedd

PS thanks for the compliment on the old girl, she use to be outstanding, she will turn a head or two still on occasions.
Attached Images
Olds valve covers 001.jpg (74.2 KB, 39 views)
Olds valve covers 002.jpg (72.7 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; August 15th, 2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old August 15th, 2014, 08:00 PM

ticking noise

Originally Posted by Rocketowner
Your noise could possibly be something that does not require the complete removal of the engine.The oil pan can be removed without completely removing the engine.What are the conditions of the ticking noise.If it' just when the engine is in a pull,the "324's" were prone to crack the pistons directly downward from the wrist pins,and would only be heard when you were accelerating. Larry
Larry,

If I could avoid pulling engine I'm all for it. The noise came from bottom end of engine while standing still....my father was a service writer for a Chevrolet dealership, for 17 years, and he has "the ear", I was revving engine and he tells me to turn it off....he tells me he hears ticking on lower end. I was hoping he was wrong but how can I argue with that wisdom & experience....?
Old August 15th, 2014, 09:36 PM

Valve cover decals

Thanks for the info on your lowering. Yes the decals would go over the raised letters after the new paint is totally dry. I seem to remember that you can use a soap and water solution and float the decals into position without tearing them, then lightly squeegee out the excess fluid and let them dry. If you have a welder, and your engine and trans will be out for a while, you might want to make a stand to hold them as a unit. I made one that uses the cross member from the car and the front motor mount. It allows access to the pan and the rest of the engine except the front cover with the timing chain and gears. Chuck
Attached Images
007 (2).jpg (75.6 KB, 56 views)
008 (2).jpg (75.0 KB, 46 views)
Old August 15th, 2014, 10:14 PM

motor stand

Chuck,

I think I'm going to get a "guy" to paint valve covers. I never considered building a stand for engine. I figured I'd pull engine and take it to machine shop....hope I can do the repair myself now w/stand idea. So you actually used cross member for tranny on the stand or did you fab it?...thanks
Old August 15th, 2014, 10:20 PM

engine

Chuck,

Forgot to say that your engine looks bad a$$......love the carbs...
Old August 16th, 2014, 10:01 AM

Yes, I used the cross member and the rear engine mounts just the way they are in the car. Suggest you use a ***** punch and mark one end of the motor mount and the frame. The cross member will go in backwards and there is an extra set of holes that can really mess you up. The punch marks will show thru new paint if you go that route. Thanks for the comments on my engine, the carb linkage was a nightmare. I also made an adjustable height stand on rollers to remove and store the tranny. The stand is stored out back with the other "take off items" and I can take pics if you want to go to the trouble of making one. Chuck
Old August 17th, 2014, 11:50 AM

More pics

Thanks again guys for all the input. As promised here are some more pics....

As far as pulling motor all I need to do now is disconnect the exhaust..., still on the fence whether to pull trans or not, already took off tiny carb with it's fuel lines....

The four barrel intake was purchased a couple of years ago off ebay to convert the engine to four barrel, got the carb too....$400 to rebuild it...

The screws for reverse lenses broke off inside so this is how they look now. I have the original reverse glass lenses and bezels but I'm thinking of doing something different, as far as lenses go, any thoughts or suggestions?

By the way don't worry about that dried up tail light(both look that way) I have three OEM tail light lenses, pops stocked up on them while working for GM.

I'll probably be putting parts up for sale(for the 55 sedan) on the classifieds after I figure out how to do it.

Look forward to your thoughts and comments....
Attached Images
DSCN1513.jpg (53.6 KB, 57 views)
DSCN1516.jpg (56.1 KB, 58 views)
DSCN1514.jpg (53.7 KB, 51 views)
DSCN1515.jpg (50.9 KB, 53 views)
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:16 PM

Well took the bolts off the exhaust today, easy due to just having single exhaust.

Had to use a cut off wheel to get one off....dem bolts are old......
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:34 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I notice in the first picture you have an amplifier for the autronic eye. I am guessing it may not work but is a cool accessory.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 06:35 PM

redoldsman,

Last time car was driven it was working from what I could tell....

Seems like the closer I get to pulling engine stuff comes up......