Eyesore 1975 Royale

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2013, 04:04 AM

Eyesore 1975 Royale

That's what the P/O's daughter called this Delta. She wanted it scrapped. Someone told her it was worth $600 crushed. I had to explain that was a little high plus she would have to get it to the crusher. Being Mr Nice Guy, I gave her close to that price. Car sat outside it's whole life. Trans front seal blown, pours out. Engine is the baby Rock-et 350, nice running. Her Father put some parts/$ in this car. She gave me the receipts for work on this car. Carb rebuilt w/electric choke, water pump, new exhaust/gas tank/straps/all brakes and steel lines, new top motor & relay. All that was done in 2010. Car could be saved but I am done falling in love with the borderline cars. All my cars were like this, then they become money pits. I should start ripping her apart today before I start liking her. Ken
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1975deltaconv4.jpg (351.3 KB, 135 views)
1975 Deltaconv2.jpg (340.0 KB, 137 views)
1975Deltaconv3.jpg (259.8 KB, 120 views)
Old May 12th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Always room for one more

Wow looks pretty clean, actually. Power windows, tilt wheel, it would be ashame to cut her up. Almost looks like a convertible.
Old May 12th, 2013, 05:04 AM

Nice score just in time for summer cruising. Beautiful color combination too. Looks like it will fit right in with the other cars in your signature. ; ) Enjoy it!
Old May 12th, 2013, 05:33 AM

It's a convertible. Yesterday when I dragged her home it was a light rain so I put a tarp over the top. It has a religious top, very "holey." Ken
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That car looks darn good for a car that's been outside it's whole life.

I'm tempted to try to buy interior parts from you, but I think I need to restrain myself, as my car is enough of a money pit as it is.

You might do best by fixing the trans and selling it as a runner.

Nice find.

- Eric
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by mdchanic
that car looks darn good for a car that's been outside it's whole life.

I'm tempted to try to buy interior parts from you, but i think i need to restrain myself, as my car is enough of a money pit as it is.

You might do best by fixing the trans and selling it as a runner.

Nice find.

- eric
x2
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Old School Olds

^^^X3. Doesn't look horrible.
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:07 AM

My green 71 Royale was in similar shape. One can only have/redo so many cars. It's worth more to me in parts than I could sell it for. I have a solid 1966 Dynamic conv stashed away that's on my bucket list. I'm thinking that red interior would fit/look good in it. I may fix the trans and see how it drives. Still thinking about her future. I try to get a pic after I pressure wash her without the tarp. Ken
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Oldsdruid

Take it the previous owner is either deceased or in a nursing home and the daughter sees anything old as undesirable. I'd lay odds she's driving some kind of foreign minivan or SUV and living in a heavily covenanted subdivision.

There was a lady at the church I grew up in who was the same way- I drove my Toronado out there to church one Sunday, fresh off its 1st place National win, and her comment was why did I keep driving that old clunker. And I stood right there in that churchyard and told her it was mainly to **** off people like her.

That is a decent score for that money. You can sell the top frame and electrics and make your money back.
Old May 12th, 2013, 09:03 AM

Ken, she really doesn't look too bad but you would know better by knowing her first hand. The pics can hide quite a bit.

Keep us posted as you get her cleaned up and take a lot of good, pics both in and out, dash included. I (and some friends) may be interested in some items.

Thanks!
John
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:06 AM

That looks like a decent car. With a little TLC it would shine. I'm sure it is fun to drive.

Too bad people are morons.
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:34 PM

The previous owner, old man,(2yrs older than me ) now lives in Az. The daughter has his house. My plans were to part her out but I think I will hold off and think about it. I plan to move her over to one of my buildings after I make some room. The top is shot and the material is very stiff. I took my time getting the top down. Rear glass window has defroster. I never force these tops and with the canvas so stiff I didn't even try to get it more into the well. After lubing and a few up/downs it worked smooth. I'm leaving it down to dry/air out for a few days. Nice interior for its age. Tomorrow I will clean then ArmorAll the interior. I think I feel guilty about wanting to parting her out. Probably just a reprieve till winter. I know, I'm spoiling her by keeping her inside. The doors need work, driver side the worst, rear wheel wells are rusted through. Here's more pics.
Attached Images
Delta1.jpg (342.2 KB, 70 views)
Delta4.jpg (380.4 KB, 62 views)
Delta2.jpg (244.0 KB, 69 views)
Delta5.jpg (351.5 KB, 58 views)
Old May 13th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's a darned sight nicer than mine, and I paid $300 more for mine, but mine was registered, running, and driven daily, so I guess there's your tradeoff.

Still think it looks too good to part.

- Eric
Old May 13th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Old School Olds

Thief!
Looks like he stole it, nice.
Fix the transmission and Drive it!
Old May 14th, 2013, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
The previous owner, old man,(2yrs older than me ) now lives in Az. The daughter has his house. My plans were to part her out but I think I will hold off and think about it. I plan to move her over to one of my buildings after I make some room. The top is shot and the material is very stiff. I took my time getting the top down. Rear glass window has defroster. I never force these tops and with the canvas so stiff I didn't even try to get it more into the well. After lubing and a few up/downs it worked smooth. I'm leaving it down to dry/air out for a few days. Nice interior for its age. Tomorrow I will clean then ArmorAll the interior. I think I feel guilty about wanting to parting her out. Probably just a reprieve till winter. I know, I'm spoiling her by keeping her inside. The doors need work, driver side the worst, rear wheel wells are rusted through. Here's more pics.
I think she's nicer than you originally gave her credit for. Clean her up, put some white walls on her and make her road worthy and then see what you have. Worst case, you'll have a decent car to sell for somebody else to restore and they'll be getting a good foundation. I've seen MUCH worse than this saved so I say hang onto it. There are fewer and fewer cars like this around. Just my 2 cents.
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:21 AM

My green Royale was in similar shape when I pulled off a hill in Pa. The top was non working and dogs were using it for shelter. Even though it's been cleaned/powerwashed I could smell dog for years when on the lift. It's top needed all new bushings/pins/cables/motor. It works good now. This car has different problems. Rubber bumper fillers are bad. Finding parts for these cars are tuff. I have way too many Olds to drive now. Taking a liking to these cars has been my problem. She's worth more to me in parts than someone would pay for her. I will keep her whole for now plus I don't have the time to mess with it one way or the other. I have a 1966 Dynamic convertible plus all the parts, that's tucked away for years that is on my list of to do. I'm thinking of getting rid of both 1967 98's. I want to thin the herd. These cars are hard to sell. Both 98's have desirable engines. Grey Ghost has a 1967 perfect running 400 E engine. (442) Money Maker, turquoise, has my former race engine, lot of $ in it. I have good running extra engines to switch out. It's all time and work. I've had good offers, from "urban gentleman" but why give these engines away. So basically one has to pick their shots. I'm done pouring money into undesirable cars. Since retiring my new saying is "I'm on a fix income." I'm fixed pretty good but I still cry poor. Lol Later, Ken
Old May 14th, 2013, 07:46 AM

Hey Ken,

It does sound like you have a lot on your plate. This company makes filler panels for the Eighty Eight if you're interested. http://plasticpartsinc.com/oldsmobile03.html They're now making the rear fillers for the '75/'76 Ninety Eight like my cars.

Let us know what you decide to do with the car.
John
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Old School Olds

Ken, good luck with whatever
you decide to do with it.
Saving it from the crusher, we
all thank you.
Offer it up for resto here.
Someone may want it, hell, it's a vert.
Front and rear seals and a top, on the road again?
They can buy the new tires, top, etc.
I'm sure you could double your money.
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:28 AM

Boy, you guys are good! You've given me enough of a guilt trip that I will keep her "whole" for now. I have a habit of getting carried away with these cars. Having a car hauler with a 12 ton winch is good and bad. I've dragged over 50 Olds off hills/fields from out/under buildings in 3 states. I use to really be into it back when cars were cheap and available. The older ones have pretty much dried up. I was after the 425/455's. My Chevy buddies use to laugh at the Olds I always had on "Big Daddy" my hauler. I would tell them, you can go to KMart to buy Chevy stuff, they quit making my stuff years ago. I always said this Olds stuff would keep me busy and make a few $ in my retirement, well it's time. Lol I'm busy alright. I use to may some money when I was cold bloodied. I use to yank the engines, sell/keep some trinkets then crush them. I got "soft heart" o
r maybe headed, and started liking some because they were borderline like this car. I will store her for now and concentrate on my Olds graveyard instead. Thanks guys! Ken

Last edited by Kennybill; May 15th, 2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
a 12 ton wench
Wow, put her on a diet!!!
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

One point to Jaunty.

- Eric
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:01 AM

Senior citizen abuse! Winch, no diet now needed. Ken
Old October 30th, 2014, 01:24 PM

So what ever happened with this Delta ?
Old October 30th, 2014, 01:52 PM

it sure looks good to me, the interior is VERY clean. I guess it depends on rust under it? If it is only surface rust I'd clean it up, fix the trans leak and flip it.
Old October 31st, 2014, 01:25 AM

There's really no demand for body parts on these,been sitting on a 74 for just over a year now.
Old October 31st, 2014, 06:16 AM

how back is rust? Frame? rockers? bootom of the doors? So the power windows work> AC clutch still free (spins), miles? What color was top? Driveable at all? brakes work? how are the floor boards?