'89 88 stutters and stalls

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2007, 02:04 PM

'89 88 stutters and stalls

Hi, I'm new here, so I'm not sure I'm in the right place? The check engine light in my '89 Olds 88 Delta has been on for a few months, the owner's manual says it has something to do with emission control, and it didn't sound serious, so I ignored it. I live in a tiny town, less than 5000, with the nearest "big" town (less than 10,000) an hour away, so mechanics can charge an arm and a leg. In fact, there's only one mechanic in town who has one of those diagnostic machines, and it's $60. just to run it!
Okay, so that's the history, here's the problem: My car started stuttering and stalling, at first just on accelerating and warming up in the mornings. I took it to the mechanic, and asked him to replace the fuel filter and air filter, and to check the spark plugs. He did so, the plugs were fine, by the way. I also bought some Sea Foam additive. But the stuttering and stalling is getting worse. It jerks while I'm driving, even on the highway at 65 mph. I have to put in in neutral and restart it over and over. So far, it's died at 20 mph (the speed limit through much of the town) several times, at 30 (the speed limit through the rest of town), and one time at 40 in the next town over, where I go for the major shopping day. I seriously thought that it was going to die on the highway when I was driving home the other day, leaving me stranded almost 60 miles from home! I made it home, but now I am terrified to take it out again! My little town is only 3 miles wide, so that's not so scary, but I HAVE to drive the 60 miles one way at least once a month, and I don't have the money to do a lot for my car. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem could be? My mechanic says he doesn't have a clue as to what the problem might be until I go to the other mechanic (the only one in town with the diagnostic thingee). Any advice? My Olds was my pride and joy and faithful friend until now. I don't want to junk her.
Thanks in advance for any advise,
jazagain
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Heya, Jazz.

I moved this post to the correct forum.

Try this :
http://autorepair.about.com/library/...bl-dtcs-58.htm

Good luck and let us know what you find.

C.J.