Stereo in a 78

Old November 10th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Stereo in a 78

Well, i picked up the period correct delco AM/FM/Cassette for the delta.

It is replacing an AM radio. My question is (I haven't torn into it yet) do they have the same plug on the back so I can just plug and play the new radio?

What about rear speakers? I have the 6x9 speakers to mount in the rear shelf but will I need to run wires or were the pre run and just stuffed somewhere when there were no rear speakers installed like they seem to do now?

If I need to run wires, what have you guys found to be the most pain free routing for them? I'd hate to have to tear stuff up too much..

Thanks!
Old November 10th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Past Administrator

Dutch, I am not exactly sure about the wiring harness, and I owned a '78 Delta 88 !!! I must be getting old. They are really nice cars BTW. But, if you can't find factory wiring for the stereo back speakers (if there are there, they should be terminated by a plug that matches your radio and there would most likely be four wires), then I would suggest running the speaker wires down the passenger side under the sill plate at the bottom of the door jamb (or jambs if you have a four door) and then under the bottom cushion of the back seat and up the vertical panel between the passenger compartment and the trunk. Just be careful to not pinch the wires or to place them where the bottom seat cushion frame would crush them when the seat is re-installed. Your hardest part will probably be routing the wires behind or above the glove box and down the kick panel to the sill plate area. I only recommend the passenger side because there are already gobs and gobs of wiring under the steering column area. To find out how to remove the seat cushion there is a post that I answered today about a '72 cutlass, they are all just about the same.
Old November 24th, 2006, 05:23 PM

i wired a aftermarket CD player in my car, and only found one wire install kit. so it should all be the same, mine was the AM/FM with casette