1956 Olds transmission indicator

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2017, 04:08 PM

1956 Olds transmission indicator

After having the indicator in and out several times, for a steering column rebuild and instrument cluster removal I thought I would pass along some tips.

Don’t bother to use spray paint on the indicator to renew the color, it is too thin to withstand the scratching that may occur during the installation or removal of the indicator.
Model paint works well and gives a very visible, high gloss color. I did not use any primer and did some light scraping to make sure all the old spray painted color was removed and cleaned the surface to be painted with mineral spirits.
I weighted the end of the indicator where the holding screws contact to hold the area to be painted in a horizontal position. I applied a coat of the red model paint with a small model brush and allowed it spread over the surface, using minimal brush strokes. The next day a second coat was applied and was allowed to dry for several days.
Installation of the indicator can be tricky, and works better with a helper. Have a helper shine a light down thru the opening in the lower part of the speedometer housing where the indicator goes. Laying on your back you can then peek thru the small opening above the set screws where the lever has to fit and see the slot illumined by your helper.
Reach behind the dash and feel for the indicator to guide it up into the illuminated opening and have your helper guide you to locate the pointer behind the N letter before tightening the set screws; of course, make sure the transmission is in neutral. Hope this will help anyone who wants to refinish the indicator to make it more visible. Chuck
Old February 19th, 2017, 03:06 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Great tip, Chuck. Thanks.