Removable Hardtop for Delta Royale

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2016, 09:58 AM

Removable Hardtop for Delta Royale

Hey guys,
My 1973 ragtop has no top, just the frame. So I've decided to make a removable hardtop.

I'm gonna weld braces on the frame, get a back glass from another car, weld it all together with strapping and cover it with sheetmetal. I have to weld a panel behind the rear seat where the top used to collapse, but I have a template for that by using the tonneau cover as a guide. I'm gonna cover the new top with black vinyl and make it detachable from the windshield frame using the existing latches. The top will taper towards the edge of the trunk lid, giving it a fastback look. I'll have the inside of the top upholstered by a pro.

It will be a two man job to lift the top off the car, but the inside will stay dry in the winter and I'll still have a convertible in the summer. Has anyone seen a conversion like this before? If you have, please post some pics. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Interior.jpg (79.5 KB, 24 views)
Parade car.jpg (124.2 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by motor; February 5th, 2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 10:02 AM
Administrator

A Carson type top:
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/additional-how-to/86421/
Old February 3rd, 2016, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the Carson top tutorial!
They started from scratch, I've still got the frame and latching mechanism to work with. Great pics - thanks!
Old February 5th, 2016, 05:17 PM

Here is the convertible frame I have to work with.
Attached Images
IMG_1325.JPG (1.26 MB, 19 views)
Old February 5th, 2016, 08:31 PM

I'm having difficulty understanding the reason to NOT just have a new canvas top installed.
Old February 6th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

In my opinion a 73 Delta is not the kind of car you put a Carson top on. Carson tops were used more on the customized lead sleds. I believe it will devalue the car for sure. However it is the OP's car to do with as he pleases. It is not something I would ever do.

Last edited by redoldsman; February 9th, 2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old February 9th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Frankly, factory ragtops look awful.
I can't think of any convertible that actually looks good with the factory vinyl top up. Can you? They are really for storage purposes, and they were designed that way. Cloth tops look better, but man are they expensive and prone to staining!

That top bow just above the C pillar is 3 inches taller than the A pillar and almost looks like a spoiler. The 88 is low and wide, and the tall roof bows are way out of proportion.

I'm cutting them off so I can follow the lower contours of the frame and C pillar, which will give an ILLUSION of a chop. Not an actual chop. The factory A pillar will be the tallest part of the car and it will taper back and down from there. Imagine a mild lead sled look.

There is a bonus to this whole thing. Parade car!
What else would you do with a 20 ft long convertible? Using the tonneau cover as a template, as I mentioned above, I will weld in a sturdy boot covering the area where the top used to collapse into. I'm sure there is some fiberglass hard boot available for the 88, but why subject a beauty queen's butt to something that can crack or splinter?

It's still a big block Royale convertible, and it will be unique. I guess it would qualify as a mild custom. Whether it holds it's value or not is not an issue for me. If someone buys it and wants to put a factory top on it, they still can!
Old February 9th, 2016, 09:29 AM

When ragtops go bad. A tarp is not the answer.
Attached Images
crusty.jpg (10.0 KB, 10 views)
neglected.jpg (10.2 KB, 10 views)
Old February 12th, 2016, 01:51 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

In my opinion it is a very nice and interesting idea/project.
Please do a detailed documentation of your work und keep us updated about the progress.