Chirping sound while decelerating

Old August 16th, 2008, 06:46 PM

Chirping sound while decelerating

I've been trying to find the source of a "chirping" sound from my 66 f-85 for a few months with no success. Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

It sounds slightly like a squealing belt, but a much more abrupt chirp than a belt usually makes. The frist few times I heard it I really thought it was birds chirping. Most noteably, it only happens when I'm off the gas, between 1200 and 2000 rpm- with the car in gear. If I push in the clutch the sound goes away. The sound is the same in all gears... so it's related to engine speed, not vehicle speed. Usually it gets worse the longer I've been driving. After the car sits for a couple weeks it will go away for the first few minutes I'm driving.

Since I have to be moving to hear it, I can't get a good fix on where it's coming from. If I had to guess I'd say it was coming from the transmission... but this is a pretty odd sound for a transmission to make.

Any ideas? Anything I should be checking aside from fluid levels and belts?

Engine is a 330 with a 3 speed trans.

Thanks!

Erich
Old August 16th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Oldsdruid

Offhand sounds like a dry clutch throwout bearing, or possibly the clutch arm rubbing against something. Worst case is you need a clutch. Since it all has to come out to do a throwout bearing, would make sense to replace clutch/pressure plate at the same time.

Have you tried adjusting the clutch? How much free travel before it moves?
Old August 17th, 2008, 08:17 AM

I've been planning on a new clutch anyway. It's the original, and feels very worn out.

I haven't tried any clutch adjustment. You're thinking I need to have the friction point a little lower to ensure that it's not slipping a little bit when I have the clutch all the way out?
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:50 PM

I agree with rocketraider sounds like a throwout bearing sound goes away when cooled down comes back when used again will soon start squealing all of the time whe the clutch is depressed. When you replace the clutch and throw out bearing check the flywheel may need resurfacing as well. Oh and don't forget to replace the bronze bushing in the flywheel too.
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the help!!
Old February 15th, 2009, 01:11 PM

Reviving a very old thread...

I replaced the clutch, pilot bearing, and throwout bearing. Both bearings felt worn out, so I thought sure that must be the source of the noise. The clutch fork/ball stud was a little dry, so I greased that up. After getting everything back together I'm disappointed to say, the sound is still there.

Any other ideas?... 'cause I'm stumped.
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:51 PM
2 '66 98's

Did you take a good look at the U-joint while you had the thing apart?? They often make a chirping sound when dry and the bearings are burning up.