I broke my '63 F85.

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2017, 04:50 PM

I broke my '63 F85.

Does anyone know where to source a new seat and seal for the spring? I broke mine.

Old March 5th, 2017, 11:03 PM

Unless your lucky enough to find an original CV repair kit or good used driveshaft in a junk yard, You can't get the parts anymore. G.M. discontinued them in 1971 and nobody in the aftermarket makes them. How did you break the seat??? Pic doesn't show it but it is two pieces.
Old March 6th, 2017, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
Unless your lucky enough to find an original CV repair kit or good used driveshaft in a junk yard, You can't get the parts anymore. G.M. discontinued them in 1971 and nobody in the aftermarket makes them. How did you break the seat??? Pic doesn't show it but it is two pieces.
I must have broke the seat. The spring in the ball or still in there, but the seat and the seal is not. It broke recently, I presume during an oversteering incident.
Old March 6th, 2017, 10:28 AM

The only way those parts are missing means that someone took it apart. Also if the seat is missing that car would vibrate like hell.
Old March 6th, 2017, 01:08 PM

This might help...

I have the section with the ball I will sell, and the seal can be replaced with National Seal # 13X22X6 it's a hair thicker then stock but works nicely. That leaves the two or (sometimes three) piece section that the spring pushes against ball that you still need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3310.JPG (3.00 MB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_3068.JPG (331.5 KB, 17 views)
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
The only way those parts are missing means that someone took it apart. Also if the seat is missing that car would vibrate like hell.
It was vibrating like hell. And it took itself apart. I don't have a picture of what it looked like before or after it broke, but it was working fine before it went to pieces on me. It was rebuilt 5 years ago by a master machinist and vintage hotroder who died a couple years after. So questions I could have as to why the repair failed (or what I have done to it) are for a dead man.
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1970-W30
I have the section with the ball I will sell, and the seal can be replaced with National Seal # 13X22X6 it's a hair thicker then stock but works nicely. That leaves the two or (sometimes three) piece section that the spring pushes against ball that you still need.
That sounds great. Do you have the seat and stop as well?
Old March 8th, 2017, 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=RoseCityOldsmobile;997072]It was vibrating like hell. And it took itself apart. I don't have a picture of what it looked like before or after it broke, but it was working fine before it went to pieces on me. It was rebuilt 5 years ago by a master machinist and vintage hotroder who died a couple years after. So questions I could have as to why the repair failed (or what I have done to it) are for a dead man.
I had a problem with mine for a long time. I tried to make a set of those "shoes" from a Chevy rocker arm pivot ball, It would last about two weeks and would fail. I learned the only way to fix these shafts is with the correct parts. Also I would send it out for a rebalance to make sure it wouldn't vibrate or it will self destruct quickly.
Old March 10th, 2017, 11:25 PM

PM sent