Rear axle bearing housing nut/stud.... help

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2017, 12:54 PM

Rear axle bearing housing nut/stud.... help

I simply didnt pay attention when putting my rear end back together yesterday, to make a short story even shorter... I took all the threads of one of the stud and nut holding the bearing housing to the hub, I did it without even using impactgun, long wrench or brute force... magic?

Where can I get another stud and nut ??

I have NO idea about the size of this thing, so I need a little help

Or should I just modify a bolt, put it through the hole spin on the nut.. end of story?
Old March 4th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jandk
I simply didnt pay attention when putting my rear end back together yesterday, to make a short story even shorter... I took all the threads of one of the stud and nut holding the bearing housing to the hub, I did it without even using impactgun, long wrench or brute force... magic?

Where can I get another stud and nut ??

I have NO idea about the size of this thing, so I need a little help

Or should I just modify a bolt, put it through the hole spin on the nut.. end of story?
Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about. "Bearing housing" to "hub"? If you'd like useful help, how about telling us year, model, axle type, etc, and provide photos of the problem if possible.

Are you by chance talking about the bolts that hold the bearing retainer to the end of the axle tube on a Type O axle? If so, those just press in. Tap the old one out and replace it.

These are typical.

Old March 4th, 2017, 03:52 PM

I'm sure that's what he's talking about. He's from Denmark, so maybe not too familiar with the terminology here.
Old March 5th, 2017, 02:24 AM

I appologize.. usually I always type my car in the title field, and yes ofcause it would be helpfull with some info on the car.

Mrold69 and Joe:

Yes I am from Denmark, Scandinavia, which also is the reason that I wasnt aware of the correct term for this, but did try to explain what area it was all about.

Yes the stud or bolt is just tapped in, and has a round smooth head with a flat area on the side. See foto

The car in question is my 1964 Oldsmobile 98 4 door hardtop.... I have no idea of what this axle is called, but as far as I know they anly came with one type of axle with different ratios.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0786.JPG (1.97 MB, 22 views)
Old March 5th, 2017, 06:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Your axle is the 1957-1964 Olds/Pontiac 9.3" axle. This vendor specializes in parts for that axle and while I don't see the housing end bolts listed on their website, it's worth a call to see if they can get them for you.

To be honest, you could probably get away with using a Grade 8 bolt, though you'd have to grind the head on one side to clear the axle tube.
Old March 5th, 2017, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Your axle is the 1957-1964 Olds/Pontiac 9.3" axle. This vendor specializes in parts for that axle and while I don't see the housing end bolts listed on their website, it's worth a call to see if they can get them for you.

To be honest, you could probably get away with using a Grade 8 bolt, though you'd have to grind the head on one side to clear the axle tube.
Thank you. I will look into it. I thought exactly the same as your suggestion regarding using a modified bolt, but would rather have the real thing if possible.
Old March 10th, 2017, 11:59 AM

Thanks again.

I contacted Fabcraft, and they sure do know how to treat a new customer. They answered my email the same day, and took the time to offer me relevant parts related to my request!

I would recommend them any day.

My parts are already in the mail!
Old March 12th, 2017, 09:59 PM

Retaining plate stud and nut

OLDS (1966-72) has a specific stud head compared to Buick (1964-1972) and Chevy (bolt in axle rears 55-64) etc. If you are not happy with the new ones I have original used exactly like yours pictured.

Sorry just did not see this thread in time.
Jim
J D
Old March 12th, 2017, 11:19 PM

No worry Jim, and thanks. I was offered old refurbished or aftermarket, and asked if the new aftermarket would fit then I would take them... And that is what I am getting, so I assume they fit, since the company work on these axles.
Otherwise I will be a little disappointed, and take it from there.

Thanks