intake manifold swap

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2014, 08:39 PM

intake manifold swap

Ok I'm a newbie, pardon my ignorance, I'm learning quickly though. Converting a 70 olds supreme without a/c to with a/c. Need to move alternator to right side from left side. Also replaced stock cast 2 barrel intake with aluminum a4 intake from a 307. Trouble is, with this switch I lost the bolt up spot for the alternator bracket on the intake manifold, as the a4 intake does not have it! So what brackets do i use to mount the alternator on the right side? Help please
Old July 20th, 2014, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by mkenny
Ok I'm a newbie, pardon my ignorance, I'm learning quickly though. Converting a 70 olds supreme without a/c to with a/c. Need to move alternator to right side from left side. Also replaced stock cast 2 barrel intake with aluminum a4 intake from a 307. Trouble is, with this switch I lost the bolt up spot for the alternator bracket on the intake manifold, as the a4 intake does not have it! So what brackets do i use to mount the alternator on the right side? Help please
Not too familiar with the A4 intake but with the Edlebrock aluminum manifold I put on my 455, the Edlebrock pre drilled AC bracket hole was not even close to maching up with the factory AC bracket. I ended up filling the pre drilled hole by theading an aluminum rod and epoxying it in. I then drilled and tapped a new hole where I needed it. The pic is upside down but you can see the AC bracket
that gave me trouble, this was when I was marking where to drill.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (72.6 KB, 60 views)
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:31 AM

Short answer, find another stock 4bbl intake manifold with the Ac bracket hole, or an Edelbrock and hog out the AC bracket hole so it will line up.
Old July 21st, 2014, 08:30 PM

intake swap

thanks for the replies, not sure where I'm going to go from here. Don't want to go with a stock cast 4 barrel intake as my first choice cuz I hear they don't flow as well. May try the performer 3711 intake and move the hole as needed. Just not sure yet. Thanks again,
Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:09 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

The problem is, you have a 1970 model and that taller steering pump reservoir is not compatible with the alternator brackets that will match the A4 intake. I just went through this fiasco 2 weeks ago.

I ended up modifying a 79 Ford econoline smog pump bracket for use as an Olds alternator bracket.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:05 PM

manifold swap

thanks again, thinking of going with a performer intake and a large "C" shaped bracket i've seen on other cutlasses with 350's that bolts directly to the front of the block and then an "H" shaped bracket for the back. I think this will work. If not, then back to the drawing board. May have to change the power steering reservoir too. Oh...this is so much fun...not!
Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:25 PM

Don't want to go with a stock cast 4 barrel intake as my first choice cuz I hear they don't flow as well.
As well as what? And where did you hear that, as I never did in 40 years of playing with Olds engines. I think a factory cast 4bbl intake should flow well enough for your engine. I used mine with a much larger aftermarket cam and turning 5800 RPM.
May try the performer 3711 intake and move the hole as needed. Just not sure yet. Thanks again,
If you have the correct brackets then it will bolt up fine. I had both the Performer 350 and Performer RPM on my engine (with AC) and everything lined up perfectly. It's the Performer 455 that needs the hole (or the bracket) modified.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 11:49 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

thanks again, thinking of going with a performer intake and a large "C" shaped bracket i've seen on other cutlasses with 350's that bolts directly to the front of the block and then an "H" shaped bracket for the back. I think this will work. If not, then back to the drawing board. May have to change the power steering reservoir too. Oh...this is so much fun...not!
Those came stock on 68-70 models, so it will be ok with your reservoir
Unless, of course you don't have stock valve covers. The H shaped bracket wraps over the valve covers. If yours are taller you will run into trouble.

Decisions decisions. Changing the pump reservoir to a 72 model and 80's 307 alternator brackets would be easier than changing the intake in my opinion, If you had them laying around already.
but you would probably have to track that stuff down and spend money of course.... thus making it not easier.

I would just leave the dang top bolt out and run what you have. I highly doubt it's going to twist itself into a pretzel.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:22 AM

manifold swap

thanks for all the replies again. Yes I have stock valve covers so those brackets should work. Trouble is, now I'm having trouble finding those brackets. They seem to be kind of hard to come by. Any help here would be appreciated. Going to go with a performer intake, used ones are abundant and not too expensive. Will post pics when the project is more complete. Thanks again.