1971 cutlass supreme, 350, 2bbl

Old June 27th, 2008, 06:23 PM
david adelberg

1971 cutlass supreme, 350, 2bbl

I need help getting my Cutlass to start. Last season the starter began to not respond reliably to the key, though power was on. When the car would start it ran without problems. Over the winter I replaced starter/solenoid and renewed wires and batery, to no avail. With key on, ignition lights do come on. Can I by-pass the ignition switch, e.g. hot-wire the car to tell if this is the problem? There is also what I believe to be a starter relay. I cannot locate a replacement, it is a single pole device, can this be tested? Thanks in advance, David Adelberg

Old June 28th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by david adelberg
I need help getting my Cutlass to start. Last season the starter began to not respond reliably to the key, though power was on. When the car would start it ran without problems. Over the winter I replaced starter/solenoid and renewed wires and batery, to no avail. With key on, ignition lights do come on. Can I by-pass the ignition switch, e.g. hot-wire the car to tell if this is the problem? There is also what I believe to be a starter relay. I cannot locate a replacement, it is a single pole device, can this be tested? Thanks in advance, David Adelberg
There was no starter relay used from the factory. The solenoid on the starter incorporates relay contacts in addition to the moving pole that engages the starter drive. Are you possibly thinking the horn relay is a starter relay?

If you can get to it, you can hot wire from +12V to the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid. This will engage the solenoid and cause the motor to turn over. You still need to place the key in the RUN position to start the car.
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:31 AM
My co-pilot for 30 years

I seem to have intermittent trouble similar to yours. 71 Supreme w/ console shift. All my power comes on but the ignition clicks once like a bad battery/connection. I take the steering column Sleeve (for lack of proper terminology) and twist it counterclockwise. Imagine the linkage between the console and the column is sloppy and stops it from starting. Works for me til I dig into it.
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Driftr
I seem to have intermittent trouble similar to yours. 71 Supreme w/ console shift. All my power comes on but the ignition clicks once like a bad battery/connection. I take the steering column Sleeve (for lack of proper terminology) and twist it counterclockwise. Imagine the linkage between the console and the column is sloppy and stops it from starting. Works for me til I dig into it.
If the problem is the backdrive linkage, there is a simple adjustment. There's a sliding fitting with a lock bolt at the bottom of the rod that comes off the steering column. Put the trans in park, loosen the bolt, push all the way upwards on the rod and hold it there while you tighten the bolt.
Old July 16th, 2008, 11:19 AM
My co-pilot for 30 years

Thanks Joe, will try it.