1972 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2007, 02:38 PM

1972 Cutlass S

Okay this guy is selling a 1972 Cutlass S right by where I live. I drove it and it seems to run and shift perfectly fine.

He want's $3000 for it and I think that seems a little high, I was hoping maybe you guys could tell me what a fair price would be for this car.

I'll explain it the best I can

It has a vinyl top which needs to be replaced
The headliner is falling down
Bench seat, material is not ripped, however I would probably recover it anyways because it is a nasty stock brown color.

Automatic transmission
Power Steering
Manual breaks, drums on each wheel, guy has a brake booster canister that hasn't been installed, but will come with the car.

Some rust and rot infront of the rear tires and along the lower trim under the doors, nothing too bad, but definetely in need of some patch pannels.

New shocks and springs installed in 1999, the car rode really smoothly when I drove it, I didn't hear too many rattles, so I believe this repair was actually done.

The floor pans are solid
The trunk pan is solid except for a small rust hole on the drivers side.
The glove box latch and lock is not installed, but sitting in the glove box

Dash is not cracked

Column shifter, not a console shifter.

The engine is the original 350 Rocket with original two barrel carburetor, the odometer says 54,000, but the owner thinks it has rolled over.

I was surprised at how quickly it accelerated the vechicle, the engine does not burn any oil and idels smoothly.

Single exhaust with stock manifolds, the guy recently put a new exhaust from the manifolds back, it is nice and quiet and stock.

Ralley Wheels.
Not posi traction

Okay I know that is a mouthfull of details right there, but I was hoping someone could suggest a good price I could offer the owner. I've been looking for a project car and possible 442 clone.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:38 AM

Sounds like a lot of pros versus the cons. If you can fix the rust for a reasonable (cheap) price, I think 3K is a fair price. (at least it would be here in CA.) It's nice to have a numbers matching drive train, and yes those 2bbl Rochesters will perform. I had one on a 455 before replacing it with a Holley 4bbl. Sounds like a good project car to me. Chumley