1972 Cutlass Convertible ID

Old January 25th, 2011, 11:11 AM

1972 Cutlass Convertible ID

Hello All,

Purchased 72 cutlass convertible last year, vin # 3J67M2M195928

This was advertised as engine matching which was easily confirmed. Asking seller if he knew if was matching trans he said he never looked just bought the car 10 years ago to take kids out for ice cream but looked legit to him. After getting car home 1st thing I did was search for trans serial # found it & was delighted all matched Vin# / Eng / trans all M195928. Body plate confirms color Cameo white ext / white int / black top /buckets. Having some mech work done on front end all original ( ball joints still riveted) my mechanic asked me if it was converted from auto & pointed to a bracket mounted on the frame which is used for auto trans support. This is a classic car mechanic so he seems to know his stuff. Now my question is what is that bracket doing there ? All #`s match , doesn`t seem like any conversion was done but that bracket now gives me doubt. Any other way of confirming ? He bought car 10 years ago on ebay from a guy in Mich & has no history on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:13 AM

Sorry car is a 4 speed muncie all correct markings for 72
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Congrats. Nice find. I moved your posts to their own thread since they really had nothing to do with the thread you originally posted in. Good luck.
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jesse
...my mechanic asked me if it was converted from auto & pointed to a bracket mounted on the frame which is used for auto trans support. This is a classic car mechanic so he seems to know his stuff. Now my question is what is that bracket doing there ? All #`s match , doesn`t seem like any conversion was done but that bracket now gives me doubt. Any other way of confirming ? He bought car 10 years ago on ebay from a guy in Mich & has no history on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
The bracket on the frame was used for the backdrive linkage that locked the shifter in reverse when the key was turned to the LOCK position. This was federally required starting with the 1969 model year. I suspect the linkage was removed during a clutch replacement and never reinstalled.
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Thanks Joe,

Man you guys are gooood !!!! Best thing I did after I bought the car was to sign up here.

Thanks Again Joe,

Jesse
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:30 AM

vette442,

Of course , been on your website many times, very helpful info you have posted there !
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jesse
vette442,

Of course , been on your website many times, very helpful info you have posted there !
Thanks Jesse. I had been posting a response to something else while Joe was moving your post around, so I deleted my note. In any case, please send some info on your car.

Also, if you are having doubts on whether it was converted from an automatic, check my VIN location info on my website. That's a major confirmation if the VIN stamp is on the M20 and matches your car. Look underneath to see if it's a factory-looking hump or whether it may have been added. Also, look at your shifter handle. Does it have an "H"? Can you look and see if the handle bolts to the shifter at the base or if it's shimmed in (factory-style)? Also, if your car is an original buckets/console car, look at the lens on the back of your console. Is it pure white with silver trim (automatic - lighted), or kind of gray (manual trans - no lighting/rear harness)?

**p.s. - I re-read your earlier note that the trans VIN matches. I think Joe has answered your question about the bracket.

Terry

Last edited by vette442; January 25th, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:55 AM

Hey Terry,

All is good ! Originally I was convinced it was original 4 speed from matching Vin # & then confirmed location using your website . Shifter is shimmed into tranny not just bolted into side , H stamped on shifter handle, I have to check back of console as I don`t recall off hand if there is even a light there. Just got concerned when he pointed to that bracket. Just called him about what Joe said & he did confirm as I do not have that linkage for the auto lock hooked up ( it`s gone) all makes sense now.
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:31 PM

If you wanted to replace that linkage I think it's being reproduced. I see InLine Tube offers some back drive linkage and brackets. They also use Ebay ID motorcitysupercars.
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:36 PM

Fantastic, Thank you for the info, i will check them out & see what I need ! I know I at least have the bracket :-)
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:19 PM

This bracket? On a related note... is the 2-rod linkage from an auto 'column' shift car (that connects to this bracket pictured below) the exact same for the Muncie 4-spds? If so, I assume this pic below is the exact same also for auto and manual? No physical variations?

Last edited by oldzy; October 22nd, 2011 at 08:40 PM.