holy rusty floorboards batman!!!!!!!

Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM

Angry holy rusty floorboards batman!!!!!!!

I have a 72 cutlass supreme that I want to fix up. And I just found out that the floor boards are rusty with some holes. I do not know the how bad as I have not yet took out the interior. But from what i have seen, there is some small holes with a lot of rust. I have never fixed a car befor, and I have no idea what I am doing(I got the car to learn). Could I fix these holes with fiberglass?? And if i can how hard is it to use fiberglass? And if i can not will i have to buy new floor pans? Please explain everything you can, and please no short anwsers.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM

Floor boards

Glass or polly is a quick fix that may last for some time. Not being able to see how bad the rust is makes it hard to make a sugestion. If you do use poly what you will need to do to prep is 90 degree grind the rust away top and bottom of the floor board. Buy some spray by duplicolor that changes rust into primer and coat the area. Take a piece of acetate and two way tape it to the underside of the area to be repaired. See if you can come up with some polly and cloth. I laminated plastic fixtures and gauges when
I was younger. I know there may be a site you can google to buy this poly and cloth off a website. Get some alchohol denathered and some cheap wooden handle brushes. Coat with poly , a layer of cloth/ another coat of poly then the cloth, so on and so on. I would think depending on the size of the hole you would need at least three layers. If the hole is say 6 x6" you may put a piece of sheet metal in between for strenght. If you put the asetate on flush witht he bottom side you should have a decent match. The top will be covered by carpet. Remeber this is the cheap easy way. The correct way would be to cut out the rust and add metal.

Tim
Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by freebird72
I have a 72 cutlass supreme that I want to fix up. And I just found out that the floor boards are rusty with some holes. I do not know the how bad as I have not yet took out the interior. But from what i have seen, there is some small holes with a lot of rust. I have never fixed a car befor, and I have no idea what I am doing(I got the car to learn). Could I fix these holes with fiberglass?? And if i can how hard is it to use fiberglass? And if i can not will i have to buy new floor pans? Please explain everything you can, and please no short anwsers.
There are plenty of aftermarket suppliers who can provide patch panels for repairs such as yours. Once the rust starts, it just doesn't want to stop. If there are a lot of small holes with rust, the metal structure of the floor is compromised. You can try short term repairs like what you describe, but they're only short term and usually end up creating more work in the long run when you have to do the job right.

I personally wouldn't try to fibreglass a floor panel. There are too many forces (lateral and vertical) at work, plus it's a high traffic area that usually takes a pounding both inside and outside the car. If you only have a few pinholes and the floor is structurally sound, POR the heck out of it. If you're planning to use this car as a learning tool for bodywork, do it right. Go get floor panels and the cutting/welding tools you'll need to do the job.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM

I agree with Allen. For a long term fix I'd use metal. There are the repop panels or you could post a parts wanted ad to see if someone has used panels in good shape. If you do that please add your city and state to the ad. John
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:31 PM

Exclamation HOPE SOMEONE READS THIS!!!!!

I have the money to buy the panals put I cant afford to have them to put on. How hard is it to weld? I have never really done anything car wise. Could I just weld it in myself and just put carpet over it and make it look half way decent ? I know that you have to make sure that there is nothing in the way but would it be hard to do for your first time? How much does it usauly cost to have someone to weld it for you? Its going to be my daily driver, so I want it be reliable.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:44 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Fiberglass is not the answer.........Cut out the bad stuff and weld in a new pan.......If your low on cash use a old hood,That is what I have done in the past,Its the same thickness as the floors and usually has never rusted out making the perfect patch panel metal.................Jerr
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:50 PM

http://www.por15.com/FLOOR-PAN-TRUNK...uctinfo/FPTRK/

Depending on how bad your floor pan is, this could help. If you have big holes and you want to keep the car, you need to weld in new metal.