Window runner

Old March 17th, 2017, 10:34 AM

Window runner

The lining is gone in the window runner at the rear of the drivers side door glass on my 65 convertible. I can't seem to find any company that lists them. I assume that they are the same for all a bodies, 64 -65?? Any ideas where to look? Could I just use generic runner in the channel? If so what size?
Old March 17th, 2017, 11:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Cutlass Fan
The lining is gone in the window runner at the rear of the drivers side door glass on my 65 convertible. I can't seem to find any company that lists them. I assume that they are the same for all a bodies, 64 -65?? Any ideas where to look? Could I just use generic runner in the channel? If so what size?
It's called "channel weatherstripping" and it's generic. Steele Rubber, Restoration Specialties, etc, etc.
Old March 17th, 2017, 02:01 PM

Thx Joe, any idea what the size is?
Old March 17th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Cutlass Fan
Thx Joe, any idea what the size is?
Unfortunately not off-hand (which is why I didn't answer that part of the question ).

When I got the channel weatherstrip for my 62 wagon, I brought the old one and matched it up.
Old March 17th, 2017, 04:32 PM

That's a good idea

"(which is why I didn't answer that part of the question )." Duh, ha ha, what happens when you type without thinking.
Old March 19th, 2017, 07:17 AM

I think, the company that makes them,makes two types. I think the info in their catalog, says something like this. One type is not quite like the original, and the other one to match the original, and it also costs more money.
Old March 19th, 2017, 07:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 442Harv
I think, the company that makes them,makes two types. I think the info in their catalog, says something like this. One type is not quite like the original, and the other one to match the original, and it also costs more money.
You may be thinking of the outer beltline fuzzies, that come with the flat stainless bead or the correct round one. The OP is asking about the U-shaped flocked runner that goes in the metal window channel inside the door. There are several styles and sizes, which is why I brought my old ones to match up.

Old March 20th, 2017, 06:53 PM

I pulled out the channel and it appears that it is lined with a fabric covered rubber that is glued into the channel. Steele Rubber calls it rubber backed mohair. Guess I'll see if they a dealer in Canada or ship here.
Any ideas how to remove the old stuff
Old July 10th, 2017, 10:44 PM

Molehair....That is the fabric used in the window guide channel and it keeps the glass from rattling in the door when the window is down. I re-did all the window guide channels in my 63 Cutlass. I bought a roll of generic molehair from an online vendor (google is your friend) and went to town. Made a huge difference in how the windows rolled up and down. They all work like new.

I think anything wider than 2" should be good to go. I used rubber cement and weatherstrip adhesive when I ran out of the cement. Use a paint stick to push the molehair in to the channel. Glue the edge down and use a razor to trim to size. Average cost was about $5 per foot.

http://www.rubbertherightway.com/win...54092-prd1.htm
http://www.steelerubber.com/run-chan...ner-70-2863-58
Old July 20th, 2017, 08:28 PM

That's what I ended up doing, gmile. The most time consuming thing is cleaning out the old molehair. A heat gun helps.