Back again...with more issues...

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2017, 10:52 PM

Back again...with more issues...

Hey everyone. I'm back again with some more problems. I'll list them all down here. Really need help please.
1. My wipers don't work. I used a multimeter to check the wiring and the motor. Motor is good, fuse is not blown, but the wires only draw 0.03V when the car and the wipers switch are turned on. If it's a wiring issue, how do i get access to the wire behind the firewall without tearing everything apart? If it's the switch, how do get access to it (I wasn't able to figure out which screw is the one holding the dash cover in place)? Can it be an issue with the flasher relay?

2. My passenger side blinker and brake lights are dead. When i turn on hazard flasher, only the drivers side blinks. When I turn on the headlights, the parking light comes on. When I turn on the hazards WITH headlights ON, the blinker just barely blinks based on the parking lights (you can see the brightness changes just so slightly). But when i turn on right blinker, it doesn't blink. Also when I press the brakes, only the drivers side comes on. I couldn't find any fuses blown or anything wrong.

Really appreciate everyone taking time and looking at my issues.

Last edited by dddddyang; February 20th, 2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old February 20th, 2017, 10:59 PM

1. What year Cutlass do you have? Getting Access to some wires behind dash could be really hard. But what i have been at the floor of my drivers seat, you see plenty of wires running so you could gain Access to them there. Try giving 12v directly from your battery to wiper motor. So you can for sure list it out if it runs. Where did you meter that 0.03V?
Id first check the ground points.

2. Would check ground points again, and theres an connector block ( atleast on 76 Cutlass) for all tail-electrics on trunk at drivers side. I got all my rear-lights work By cleaning that connector and ground points on trunk. I had also some funny action at my tail-lights before that.

What i have played with car electrics, most of the time it all leads to grounding problems, which also causes all kind of funky behaviour on electrics.

Last edited by Inline; February 20th, 2017 at 11:01 PM.
Old February 20th, 2017, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Inline
1. What year Cutlass do you have? Getting Access to some wires behind dash could be really hard. But what i have been at the floor of my drivers seat, you see plenty of wires running so you could gain Access to them there. Try giving 12v directly from your battery to wiper motor. So you can for sure list it out if it runs. Where did you meter that 0.03V?
Id first check the ground points.

2. Would check ground points again, and theres an connector block ( atleast on 76 Cutlass) for all tail-electrics on trunk at drivers side. I got all my rear-lights work By cleaning that connector and ground points on trunk. I had also some funny action at my tail-lights before that.

What i have played with car electrics, most of the time it all leads to grounding problems, which also causes all kind of funky behaviour on electrics.

I have a 72 cutlass supreme. And the 0.03V is when I had the wiper switch turned on and i put the prongs into the wire that goes into the wiper motor. I got 0.03V both on the wire goes into the motor and the washer pump.

Also for the taillight, it seems like i can only get access to the taillight after removing the bumper, and all the filaments on the wire is good btw.
Old February 20th, 2017, 11:28 PM

Also, here are two pictures of my fuse box. As you can see there are no fuses blown. So technically speaking it shouldn't be a blown fuse problem?? (I guess??)
Old February 20th, 2017, 11:49 PM

For starters, what i can tell from pictures, those clamps which hold fuses looks like crap.
Clean them well. To do it properly take all fuses out. Those kind of fuses are anyways notorious for losing contact easily due to oxidation (dont know the correct word).
Ive always hated those.

About your car spesificially i cant help, for example on taillights, cause i dont own one and dont have any experience from them, where the wires run etc.

Last edited by Inline; February 20th, 2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old February 25th, 2017, 12:20 PM

You do not remove the bumper. The lenses on the tail lights are attached by screws. After removal of the screws, you may have to GENTLY pry on the edges of the lenses to pop them loose from the gasket in the housing. Don't crack them. Hopefully a previous owner hasn't silicon caulked the tail lenses.

When I bought my 72, the rear bulbs were a problem. There are spring loaded contacts under the bulbs. Mine were dirty and corroded and sticky. The bulb inserted, but the contacts did not pop back up and consequently either didn't work or only worked intermittently.

Last edited by brown7373; February 25th, 2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: additional