69 Cutlass Exhaust (headers)

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2017, 07:20 AM

69 Cutlass Exhaust (headers)

Hey Guys, I have recently purchased a nice 69 Cutlass Convertible numbers matching 350. It has some minor mods, cam, 2" exhaust, upgraded carb... but it does not have headers. After doing some research I see that most don't make headers for the 69' Cutlass but I assume (could be wrong) they would be the same as a 69' Chevelle with a 350. So i went to Jegs and looked online but all the Hooker Ceramic models i looked at say they don't fit on a 350 with a floor shifter. Do any of you guys run a similar setup and have headers? I am interested in headers because the motor feels super strong and has the 2" exhaust but i feel that some back pressure might be robbing me of some power. Any insight on all the subjects would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old February 20th, 2017, 08:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ants69cutty
After doing some research I see that most don't make headers for the 69' Cutlass but I assume (could be wrong) they would be the same as a 69' Chevelle with a 350.
Sorry, but you are wrong on both counts. The Olds 350 is a completely different motor than the Chevy 350. Chevy headers do NOT bolt up. Exhaust ports are different and the Chevy starter is on the other side from the Olds starter.

As for "don't make headers", you need to brush up on your "research", Summit lists about a dozen headers for the small block Olds in an A-body. Ignore any footnotes that might say "don't fit convertibles" or "don't fit Supremes". We've been unable to kill those urban myths for decades. The only problem you may have is with the linkage from the steering column to the trans.
Old February 20th, 2017, 10:01 AM

Ok Joe, Thanks for the info. I did go to Summit after reading your post. I had been shopping Jegs and they didnt seem to have anything to fit the Olds. I have found the Flowtech and Hooker headers at Summit that say they fit but the note states they don't fit the model with the floor mounted automatic transmission. So your telling me to ignore that note? The Hooker footnote says it doesnt fit the Cutlass S.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...-size/5-7l-350

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...-size/5-7l-350
Old February 20th, 2017, 10:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ants69cutty
Ok Joe, Thanks for the info. I did go to Summit after reading your post. I had been shopping Jegs and they didnt seem to have anything to fit the Olds. I have found the Flowtech and Hooker headers at Summit that say they fit but the note states they don't fit the model with the floor mounted automatic transmission. So your telling me to ignore that note? The Hooker footnote says it doesnt fit the Cutlass S.
Those footnotes have been the source of dozens if not hundreds of questions here. Ignore them. I have no idea how a floor shift AT is anywhere close to the headers. There's absolutely nothing about a Cutlass S that is different from any other Cutlass - it's only emblems and upholstery patterns. As I said the only potential issue is with a column shift linkage or the 1969-up backdrive linkage that runs from the trans to the steering column. Depending on the brand of header and where that manufacturer chose to route pipes, you may have to modify the linkage rod.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:20 AM

Are there any headers for a 69 that you guys prefer? I have a 69 Cutlass S, 350/TH400 and ended up here on a search.
Old March 22nd, 2017, 11:54 AM

I like Heddman. The ones i used on my 701 Supreme and again on the 71 convertibel fit well and never leaked.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 06:40 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The Flowtech have thin flanges and rust like crazy, probably the Hedman or Hooker long tubes are better. Sanderson and Hedman also make shorty headers.
Old March 23rd, 2017, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the info!