outer beltline weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2016, 08:18 AM

outer beltline weatherstripping

Hey guys I'm looking for the outer beltline weatherstripping for a 1972 cutlass supreme coupe. The ones that came off the doors are about 3/4" wide chrome that covers the top of the door while the ones off the rear body start out about 3/4" expanding to about 1 1/4"and are also chrome. The replacements I see come with a small chrome bead at top. While this may work as a replacement for the inners that go on the inside door trim I don't see how these work on the outside. The weatherstripping came off the outside pieces very easily just by bending up some side small tabs(these do not have a chrome bead). Where there different types made for different trim levels? Is there someone who sells something like a wiper insert type replacement? Thanks Earl
Old December 28th, 2016, 11:45 PM

Check out Metro
Old December 29th, 2016, 06:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by stuckinthe70s
Hey guys I'm looking for the outer beltline weatherstripping for a 1972 cutlass supreme coupe. The ones that came off the doors are about 3/4" wide chrome that covers the top of the door while the ones off the rear body start out about 3/4" expanding to about 1 1/4"and are also chrome. The replacements I see come with a small chrome bead at top. While this may work as a replacement for the inners that go on the inside door trim I don't see how these work on the outside. The weatherstripping came off the outside pieces very easily just by bending up some side small tabs(these do not have a chrome bead). Where there different types made for different trim levels? Is there someone who sells something like a wiper insert type replacement? Thanks Earl
The wide trim was option code B85. I'm not aware of anyone who reproduces the correct outer wipers for this option. Typically people have disassembled the old trim and installed new generic rubber wiper strips.
Old January 12th, 2017, 07:59 AM

window felts-lessons learned

Joe thanks for the info and your right I could not find any exact replacements. I learned once again to look at the things I order as soon as they come in and not to take for granted that it "looks" right. Here is some info that I hope will help others. I ordered my window felt kits from OPGI. First order was for WF04205(made by PUI) which is listed for 70-72 supreme standard mouldings. I was able to use the inners with no problem and that's where I went wrong. I didn't check to see if the outers worked because I was not ready for them at the time (they wouldn't). Though they would have worked on a non-special moulding car with no problem. Next set was WF04204(made by REPOPS) listed for 70-72 supreme with special mouldings. This set would have fit a 70-72 cutlass with no problem but not a supreme. I was able to use the outers for the doors but I had to modify the other outers (cut/bend/shape) to fit the rear quarter window. One suggesting I have is to throw away the screws they (both kits) send you for installation as the ones I have were very soft and stripped both at the threads and phillips slots. I purchased better ones at the hardware store. So as it stands now all the window felts are installed by using both kits.
Now I'm stuck with the outers for a 70-72 supreme with standard moulding(from WF04205) and the inners for a 70-72 cutlass(from WF04204). Sorry for the long post but hope this info helps others. Earl
Old January 12th, 2017, 08:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by stuckinthe70s
Next set was WF04204(made by REPOPS) listed for 70-72 supreme with special mouldings. This set would have fit a 70-72 cutlass with no problem but not a supreme. I was able to use the outers for the doors but I had to modify the other outers (cut/bend/shape) to fit the rear quarter window.
Yet another catalog that is incorrect...

The doors (and associated anodized trim) are the same on the Cutlass and Supreme, so it is no surprise that the door outers fit fine. Obviously the quarter windows and trim are different from Cutlass to Supreme. I'm actually impressed that you found them for the B85 option for even a Cutlass. I was not aware that anyone was making even those. I'll need those for my 70 W-30.
Old January 12th, 2017, 10:04 PM

I've been through this some already a couple years ago and while I haven't yet tried to install them, here is what I have/found:

>Car is a '70 W31 w/B85 option (Cutlass S body...not a post)

>I spoke with the folks at Steele Rubber Products. They said they had the outer sweepers made for use with the anodized alum B85 moldings. I ordered a set.

>It's been awhile but I think they sent me something incorrect the first time but if so, they took them back after I called and pointed out the problem...sent a call tag, paid return shipping, etc....good customer service.

>They shipped the second set.... Part number/description sticker on the bag is "200675 69-70 Cutlass".

>The "artwork" on the bag says "Top Catwhiskers".....I think these are actually made by Restoration Specialty and Supply Company (they've been around forever and sell trim, upholstery, clips, etc for many styles/eras of old cars).

Unfortunately, I don't know if they make the quarter glass sweepers for the Supreme body cars or not but the original poster can give either of these places a call and see if they can help. You might even ask if they can make you the quarter glass pieces if you send them an original to use as a guide. Many times it's a matter of them using a sheet metal shrinker/stretcher device to put the correct bends in what starts out as a straight piece of w/strip/sweeper.