Updates On 74 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2016, 04:08 PM

Updates On 74 Cutlass

So its been a while since I last posted about my car and Ive done a fair bit of work on it since. Figured I would give you all an update.

To start, I had the car appraised and managed to get insurance, a safety, and get it on the road! I put 4 new generic kumho tires on to pass the safety. The appraised value was nowhere near what I expected, but still more than I paid for the car so I guess Im doing all right.

This is how I had to mount the tires because they are so narrow... seat the bottom bead, put upwards pressure on one side, and bead blast the other!

Then, a few weeks back, I took some of your guys' advice. I ordered up a timing chain, gears, and seal kit. With that I also ordered valve cover gaskets, plugs, wires, cap and points/condenser. I put the timing chain and gear kit in to start with, and for good reason. The engine didnt make any noise, but the chain had 1/2-3/4" play on both sides of the gears!

The next weekend, I put in an aftermarket stereo because we don't have any AM stations in Thunder Bay, and without duals, there really isnt anything to listen to while driving except the wind rushing over the car. Kenwood bluetooth receiver, Rockford fosgate 3" front, Rockford Fosgate 6x9 rear, 600w alpine 4 channel amp powering the rears. Made a custom mount for the deck under the dash, and actually I think it looks alright in there. I ran into an issue with the wiring, which was solved thanks to some help from someone in the electronics forum on which color wires were which!

I put the Plugs, Wires, and cap on last Tuesday. I ran into an issue when I went to change the points though: someone had already changed the points to HEI! One less part for me to adjust I suppose.

So last friday for the long weekend I went up to Dryden(220 Miles) to visit my grandparents and took the car. In total over 600 miles with running around, and no issues. Ran at 70mph the whole way(slightly illegal round these parts). My only complaint is that I wish I had purchased a car with A/C!

Anyways, Thanks for reading, hope you liked the update, Riley.
Old May 24th, 2016, 05:04 PM
72 Olds CS

car looks good ! smart move on the t chain only a matter of time before all that plastic ended up in your oil pan and pick up