72 Cutlass Value

Old February 12th, 2016, 12:38 PM

72 Cutlass Value

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of parting with my cutlass this coming spring (not a for sure thing). I'm curious what other Forum Members think would be a realistic sale price. I'm located in Alberta, and the market here is not the greatest given the provinces current economic situation. So I have been thinking I may try and sell it in the US. Guess I have two questions, realistic value and any tips if I do go that route (arrange shipping myself or have that be a buyer responsibility). Input from anyone who has brought a classic car south across the border would be greatly appreciated!

Details
1972 Cutlass originally a 350/350
96000 Miles

All new within the last year: (less then 1000 miles)
455 Mondello Crate - Rated at 500HP/600Ft-Lbs (Going in for dyno next month)
Rebuilt super T-10 4 speed
Posi Rear end
Hotchkis Sway bars and trailing arms
Summit Bucket Seats and Custom console (being built at the moment)

The Car appraised at $35,000 Canadian 5 years ago when the previous owner had it (prior to all the modifications done).

I may list the car next month after the console is finished and its been fine-tuned on the dyno.

Any recommendations on fair asking price in USD?
(hopefully this is in the right place forum wise, new forum member here)

Old February 12th, 2016, 03:37 PM

First off, I don't know that ANY 1972 Cutlass 2-door hardtop is worth $35,000, Canadian OR American. The Old Cars Price Guide, for what it's worth, lists the value of this car at about $16,000 in showroom condition. Add and subtract as you like, and certainly others will disagree with this value, and that's fine, but the point is that any potential buyer would likely look long and hard elsewhere before agreeing to fork out that kind of money. But ask whatever you want. You never know.

Regarding shipping, I would NOT get involved. You want to sell this car FOB Alberta. It should be up to the buyer to handle everything required to get the car to his home, whether he comes to Alberta himself and drives it home or arranges for shipping. You don't want to be responsible for this car once it leaves your home, you don't want to be dealing with shippers, you don't want to be worried about paying them, or anything. You want the buyer to handle everything. You're not going to let the car leave your home until it's paid for, and once it's paid for, it's his car. So let him handle the shipping.

When I sold my '73 Custom Cruiser back in December 2014 to a fellow in Illinois, the buyer handled everything. He sent me payment for the car. When the payment cleared, I sent him the signed title. He arranged for the shipper, and when the truck arrived, I backed the car out of my garage and into street, handed the keys to the truck driver, and I was done with it. He put the car on the truck and drove away. That was the end of my association with the car.
Old February 12th, 2016, 04:45 PM
72 Olds CS

its a nice looking car.

in my area (new england) i would expect it to sell for 8-12k
Old February 12th, 2016, 11:37 PM

Thanks for the replies RetroRanger and Jaunty75. I did some looking around online after posting this and found cars in similar shape to mine listed between 15-20K USD, for a list price that seems to line up with what you both said (the sites I was looking at would likely have a bit higher list prices).

Glad to also hear that it's best to leave pick-up/shipping to the buyer.

Thanks again. Good information for to keep in mind come spring if I decide to sell.
Old February 13th, 2016, 05:14 AM
Maintained

Okotoks Classic Car Auction is coming up in May.
List it there for a high reserve and see what kind of bids you get. You will pay the listing fee, but good info on the local sale market will be had. You can always lift your reserve if you want to sell.
Ebay even cheaper to list, but could be more hassle.
Kijiji ads get too many trolls in my opinion, but i have had some very good sales thru it.

Just a thought. Best wishes
Old February 13th, 2016, 04:38 PM

Thanks scottv442, I had completely forget about the Okotoks auction. I am planning on going to the Red Deer Show and Auction in March, perhaps gain some insight into the market there as well.
Old February 16th, 2016, 07:28 AM

It's a pretty car. But it will not fetch anywhere near 35,000. Not from what I see. Can you post a couple more pictures, the interior and the engine compartment. It'd really like to see the other photo's, as this looks like a car it'd seriously like, but for a fair price.

The mondello engine definitely adds to the value, as does the upgraded suspension. I would think 16-20k would be the ballpark. But someone would really have to love it for 20k.

I would also think(and I may be wrong on this part) that the canadian market would pay more for a car like this, as they would be less common up there?
Old February 16th, 2016, 01:00 PM

jpc647, here are some pictures of the engine when we installed it last year, and a couple of the interior. These are the only pictures I have at the moment (car is in storage for the winter). Right now I'm working on constructing a console for it, and since the pictures the intake manifold has been switched from an edelbrock Performer to a mondello posi-flow.

In regards to the Canadian market I think you are correct, they seem to be MUCH more common south of the border. Unfortunately, in Alberta it is a very competitive market right now as there are A LOT of classics for sale due to everything going on with the economy here, everyone is selling their toys, which is why i was curious about the US market.

Old February 16th, 2016, 07:27 PM
Runner

Here is a link to all the 1972 Cutlasses I've had posted on my site. This may help get an idea of what asking prices were for different condition cars. You can put your mouse over the graph points to see a thumbnail.
https://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/to...&color=all&s=1
Old February 17th, 2016, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Drue
jpc647, here are some pictures of the engine when we installed it last year, and a couple of the interior. These are the only pictures I have at the moment (car is in storage for the winter). Right now I'm working on constructing a console for it, and since the pictures the intake manifold has been switched from an edelbrock Performer to a mondello posi-flow.

In regards to the Canadian market I think you are correct, they seem to be MUCH more common south of the border. Unfortunately, in Alberta it is a very competitive market right now as there are A LOT of classics for sale due to everything going on with the economy here, everyone is selling their toys, which is why i was curious about the US market.

Drue,

Understood about the Canadian market.

The car is pretty. i really like it. It combines classic styling with some new age tech. I'm excited to see what you come up with for a console. I wish you were closer, it'd like to see the car when it's finished, even if not as a buyer. Others may not like it, as it's modified and "flashy". I think you did a real nice job with it. It'd drive that all the time in the summer.
Old February 18th, 2016, 10:04 PM

Joffroi, Thanks for the Link. It provided good insight for me on what a car like mine would be listed at!
Old February 18th, 2016, 10:05 PM

jpc647,

Thanks! glad you like it! I'll be sure to post update's here on Classic Oldsmobile as I continue with my work on the car!