Sppdtech AFX

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2015, 12:48 AM

Sppdtech AFX

Has anyone used the speedtech AFX tall spindles and if so what upper arms did you use?
Old November 11th, 2015, 08:58 AM

I have them but have their whole kit. The upper control arms are Speedtech also. My understanding is that and control arm designed for tall spindles will work. I think the problem is the taper on the spindle or ball joint though. Just give them a call they are very helpful and knowledgeable.
Old November 11th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Rodney

Originally Posted by rpinnt
Has anyone used the speedtech AFX tall spindles and if so what upper arms did you use?
I'm building my car with SPC upper arms using tall ball joints and a stock spindle and lower control arm. I'm using a .5" taller lower ball joint (to drop the stance a bit without needing lowering springs) and a .9" tall upper ball joint to raise the pick-up point of the upper BJ for better suspension geometry. The SPC upper arms are expensive and the Howe ball joints are about double the price of Moog parts, but using stock spindles and LCA it's still cheaper than the AFX spindles and required arms, and the Howe BJs are rebuildable. I already had good drum spindles, and found a deal on some used Kore3 aluminum hubs to could run C5 Corvette calipers on the front. I fabricated a BJ spacer and a bump stop plate, and you will have to grind down the front gusset on the frame mount to clear the SPC arm. I'm shooting for +5-6˚ of caster and -.5˚ of camber with positive camber gain when the suspension compresses.

Here's a link to my build thread, the front suspension starts at Post#70.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ertible-2.html

Rodney
Old January 27th, 2016, 10:48 AM

I used the Global West upper and lower arms with AFX tall spindles, the results were nothing less than fantastic. I actually was in contact with Tyler (ATS) during the development of the AFX arms, my set has a S/N of 009, to give you an idea. Tyler worked directly with Doug at GW, who tailored the arms for the AFX spindles.

Tyler sold the rights for AFX to SpeedTech when he closed his shop (ATS).

The issue with OE spindles is bump steer (for one), and that is due to the steering arm design. Only way to correct that is to change the steering arm. The AFX spindles have a redesigned steering arm, which makes all the difference in the world.

I've tried a number of combos, starting with the original H-O Strong Arm setups. All have pros and cons, except for the AFX setup I used, which I can find no bad things to say about.

Don't even consider the CPP knock-offs, they are junk. Same with their' arms.