OPGI CH27042 Steering Gear review

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2016, 08:59 AM

OPGI CH27042 Steering Gear review

Just got this gear a few days ago and only have about 20 miles on it. So this isn't final, but initial impressions are very good.

What is it: A Saginaw 600 series steering gear advertised for a wide variety of cars: "GM 62-79". This is the quick ratio 12.7:1 box. The box has an interesting sticker: "REMY 600127P, MADE IN USA". There's not much info on that part number except the same unit may be sold by Classic Industries. The gear has a sticker with "263 A 16 26120183". The barcode decodes to 26120183. I didn't find anything off of that.
This is *not* a Turn One unit which is sold by a few vendors, usually for $800-$900. I can't tell if anyone else is sourcing this gear.
Looks like this is the OE site for the box:
http://www.mmknopf.com/index.php?opt...w=article&id=9
Appears to be available via resellers only, although I haven't found a source other than OPGI. Looks like others (e.g. Global West) used to sell them.
So it appears this is an assembly line built new unit by Knopf/Nexteer (formerly GM Saginaw division), while a similar unit from Turn One or Lee probably starts with this box, tears down and blueprints/modifies.

What's in the box: The gear (thankfully), a conversion ragjoint with hardware (looks identical to a Lares 200) and aluminum metric-to-flare adapters. They even include a new pitman nut and lock washer! The main body of the gear is plated with a silver coating of some sort. The pitman cap is raw aluminum. They do not include o-rings if you are using metric fittings. Note that I had issues with the ragjoint clamp bolt previously - it's a tight spot for a socket, so I use a grade 8 socket cap bolt with a small hardened washer.

Checkout: It actually has ~90 degree pitman swing, like it's supposed to for (at least) 68-72 A-body! Lock to lock is about 3 turns, for roughly 12:1 ratio. My last Atsco 7525 rebuild (the JGC box) has the narrow stops with pitman swing of 70 degrees or so. Never trust a rebuild.

Using it: I've converted to metric lines and the Lares 200 ragjoint previously, so this dropped right in. If this is your first time, you can use the fitting adapters to use original style flare fittings. One of the holes in the steering column lower flange has to be enlarged (IIRC!!! It's been five years since I've messed with that), as these conversion ragjoints use two same-sized bolts instead of different sized bolts. That also means that it's possible to attach the steering column 180 degrees out. The easy way is the head of the clamp bolt on the ragjoint should be facing up when the steering wheel is straight.

Road test: Return to center is good, although note that I'm also running 5 degrees caster. Road feel is pretty clear. It definitely has a 210 T-bar (or the 600-series equivalent of) - this box is even heavier than the JGC boxes I've used previously. No leaks. There's a bit of center dead spot. I know my alignment isn't 100% right now, so I'm expecting this to tighten up. It does NOT have the huge dead feel of a worn out stock box.

Overall: Yes, this is quite a bit more expensive than the JGC box approach, or an 800 series by AGR, Lee or Power Steering Specialties, or a wide variety of other solutions. It is less than the Turn One unit. Is it worthwhile?
For me, yes. I went through four rebuilt JGC boxes (three sprung leaks, one has the wrong stops) from different stores and rebuilders. Hopefully this unit is good to go for years. I'm happy with it.
Old November 21st, 2016, 09:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Great info, thanks.

Originally Posted by oddball
One of the holes in the steering column lower flange has to be enlarged (IIRC!!! It's been five years since I've messed with that), as these conversion ragjoints use two same-sized bolts instead of different sized bolts. That also means that it's possible to attach the steering column 180 degrees out. The easy way is the head of the clamp bolt on the ragjoint should be facing up when the steering wheel is straight.
I just went through this on my 67 Delta. I used the Dorman 31011 rag joint, which is equivalent to the Lares 200, to install a Monte SS box in the Delta. The stock rag joint and steering column flange have the same size bolts. The new rag joint has two different size bolts. I did not want to drill my steering flange. Turns out that the Dorman rag joint has the same size holes for the bolts as the original rag joint. The hole with the smaller bolt has a bushing in it. The original bolts are shoulder bolts with a larger diameter where they go into the rag joint and smaller threads to fit the steering flange. I simply pressed them out of the old joint and used the old bolts in the new joint.

You are correct about the head of the pinch bolt pointing up with the steering wheel straight ahead. The Dorman joint used a pretty crappy Grade 5 pinch bolt with a large head that required a socket that was going to be a problem fitting. I also swapped that for the reduced-head bolt from the original rag joint.

Finally, the original joint had a ground wire across the rag part to ensure the horn worked. The Dorman joint did not, so I swapped this also.
Old November 21st, 2016, 06:48 PM

I have the OPGI version sitting in my garage waiting to be installed, glad you like yours. I will be changing from a generic "quick ratio" rebuild of the stock gear box to this. I considered Turn One but I had to draw the line somewhere. I agree with you that the Turn One/Lee/Detroit Speed etc... boxes are probably blueprinted versions of this.

https://www.opgi.com/el-camino/CH27042/