Cut coil spring to lower 1974 cutlass

Old September 11th, 2016, 10:12 AM

Cut coil spring to lower 1974 cutlass

Hi. I want to lower my 1974 cutlass supreme by cutting the front coil springs. It is extremely expensive to buy a new pair in my country. As i saw on YouTube it is possible to cut the lower end of the spring. The formula that was suggested is to cut 1 inch in oder to lower 2 inches. I bought my car with the front way too high, and one side is higher then the other. So i guess the coil springs are not the original ones. I also intend to replace the front shocks to gas charged. I'd like to know what is the optimal hight for the front for best handling, and best appearance. I also want to know what was the original hight of the car. As i saw on YouTube the hight measured from the center of the wheel to the fender (or is it from the road to the fender?).
Thanks. Ilan
Old September 25th, 2016, 06:27 PM

I do not know the original height of the car. To lower it correctly by cutting springs, you must start with a pair of matched springs. If you have an anti-roll bar, it must also be symmetrical at the ends (if not the car will sit lower on one side). I also do not know the original measurements of the springs for cutting purposes.

The car will drop about twice the amount of the spring you cut. The spring sits about 1/2 way out on the lower arm. You also must make sure the springs are clocked correctly, because there is a spiral pocket that they fit into. Sometimes there are two holes in the lower arm spring pocket, and you would put the end of the spring between the two holes. Usually, cutting 1 coil of the spring will lower the car about 2 inches. You will also need an alignment. The upper arms may not have enough room to move for a 2 inch drop, and you can not determine how much that is before you drop it. I would try going half way at first, and find out how much the adjustment is, then see if there is enough room to move the arms that much again.

There are springs available in the US, but shipping is expensive. A pair of springs weigh about 35 lbs.

To measure the amount of drop from the original height, use the center of the grease cap to the center of the wheel opening. Measure before and after all changes. By using this measurement, you remove the inaccuracy of the tire inflation.
Old September 26th, 2016, 07:03 AM

Thanks Fred. Since i wrote this post i cut the right front spring. I accidentally lowered it 2 centimeters then the other side. The springs where not matching from the first place. I do not intend to buy new ones. Do you think it worth the bother to lower the other side for 2 centimeters? Is there a handling isue if the front spring coils are not matching?
Old September 26th, 2016, 07:45 AM

That car will never be right if you don't start with a matched set of springs.
As Fred said "you MUST start with a matched set of springs". I don't think it will be possible to have a front end alignment.
Old September 26th, 2016, 11:45 AM

You are going to have to buy a new pair of springs, no matter what. The car will be ill handling at best with the springs you have. If one side is higher than the other, you should try circle track racing. If the springs have different rates you will have issues as well. YOU MUST START WITH A SET OF MATCHED SPRINGS.

I find it hard to believe that you would even consider using springs that are different from side to side.